Can Vy do this?

hi all,

I am looking at building a small data center to handle some backups and email for some of my small business customers… my problem is that bandwidth is really expensive here and no one isp is prefect…

I was wondering if i take 2 connections from each of the 4 isps… can i use vyos to bond the the links ?

for example all isp give good download streams… 50Mb+ but give shitty upstreams 15MB… if a client is doing a restore of some of their data can all the upstreams be bonded ?

Yes, bandwidth is expensive for redundancy and multiple links!

You can’t bond connections from multiple providers with different subnets on the connection. You have to bond multiple connections from one provider with one IP subnet.

ISP1 (connection 1 50Mb/15Mb) — RouterA
ISP1 (connection 2 50Mb/15Mb) — RouterA

RouterA has a subnet from the ISP1 of say 172.16.100.0/28

hrm… interesting… but i am going to be a jam if that isp goes down…

what about if i take 2 connections each for 2 isps…

Bond the pairs together… so i have i have 2 sets of 100/30 … would i be able to use vyos to do dns services where one isp is primary and the other is secondary?

Du you have configuration control on the customers routers as well or are you thinking of just some wan load-balance? If you need to do NAT and firewalling you need to have the traffic going the same way in both directions. Without NAT you will need to have your AS/Prefix announced by all of your service providers. With your own AS / Prefix BGP will fix the routing if one connection is down.

It’s probably not the featureset in the router which are the problem here, what you want is quite complex.

hrm… so my only choice for now is to get multiple links from one isp :frowning:

I’ve done failover and differing outbound routes (for example, DSL and Cable at a convention center) for VLANs in VyOS, but I think otherwise “load balancing” with disparate outbound links ends up being a crapshoot at best. It was preferring one connection until it died.

Even with multiple links you can’t bond, unless the provider supports it - which is unlikely.

Do your customers a favor and put their equipment in a real datacenter, doing otherwise is a disservice to them. Don’t Mickey Mouse around with important business data.

If you put the data in a real DC like for example SoftLayer, you won’t need to bond the connections. If you colocate your equipment you can even get links from Level(3), Cogent, HE etc. and do real BGP with VyOS.

[quote=“trinimoses, post:1, topic:440”]
hi all,

I am looking at building a small data center to handle some backups and email for some of my small business customers… my problem is that bandwidth is really expensive here and no one isp is prefect…

I was wondering if i take 2 connections from each of the 4 isps… can i use vyos to bond the the links ?

for example all isp give good download streams… 50Mb+ but give shitty upstreams 15MB… if a client is doing a restore of some of their data can all the upstreams be bonded ?
[/quote]In typical cases you can’t bond two separate connections together.
Although if the source and destination of the connection are always the same, and you have access to configure both ends, you might be able to set up a VPN tunnel per connection, and then use OSPF.
If you have multiple customers this would have to be done for each customer, so this probably wouldn’t scale very well with increased numbers of customers.

Hi
The short answer is yes, but it depends on your status.

For load balancing between 2 Autonomous systems(imagine simply as separate networks with independent administration) you need Exterion Routing’s(like BGP) load balancing mechanism.
Another solution is using policy based routing(or source routing) that VyOs can do it.
Third solution (that i think it’s not possible for your situation) is using the interior routings’(like ospf,isis,eigrp …) load balancing mechanism.

Be careful about load balancing vs high availability. We are talking about load balancing.

I hope my post is useful.
Sincerely.