New Hardware Option: Zimaboard

I funded a Kickstarter for the Zimaboard project a couple years ago, and I finally received my 2x boards (an 832 I’m using for Docker and a 216 I’m using for VyOS). I received my boards about a month ago, and I knew I wanted to use the 216 for a VyOS system. I wiped the eMMC clean and installed VyOS 1.4 rolling, then set it up at my work desk for lab testing. We have dual gigabit fiber at work, and being a SysAdmin I work in our network closets quite a bit. I got permission from our IT Manager, and I setup a cross connect from the Spectrum switch to a port at my desk, and used 1 IP off our block. During the business day, I have been able to pull 800 Mbps up and down while our main network also uses the connection.

Hardware:

• CPU: Intel Celeron N3350
  • RAM: 2GB LPDDR4
  • HDD: 16GB eMMC 5.1
  • NIC: 2x GbE Realtek 8111H
  • Expansion: 1x PCIe 2.0 x4

There are several 3D prints available on printables.com for various add-ons, and the community is planning more.

Due to COVID in China, shipping is taking a while to get underway, but the product has been great and build quality is excellent.

4 Likes

Great project!
I think it will be interesting for many VyOS users, I will probably order one for myself.

Also, if VyOS works fine on this machine, could you add VyOS to the list of supported operating systems for zimaboard?

Also, VyOS 1.4 supports containers, so the 832 makes sense for VyOS as well

I’m not on the Zimaboard team, just an enthusiast. I will ask what it would take to be listed.

Thank you! @firedrow

Hi @Nikolay ,

I am the community leader of IceWhale, the development team of ZimaBoard.
I would love to interact more with your team and community. I can also arrange some ZimaBoards for you to use as a test.
I believe this will better help VyOS users choose the appropriate hardware and help ZimaBoard users find more usage scenarios.

Hi @firedrow,

We’re having an engineering meeting today, I’m going to talk about ZimaBoard

Anyway, thanks for such a project, just what I personally have been looking for for a long time for myself!

1 Like

Hi @Nikolay,

How’s your discussion going? Want to try it out?

Feel free to contact me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
My email address: john@icewhale.org

The Zimaboard looks really freaking cool. I’ll have to check it out one day. I’d love to move my VyOS config over to it.

1 Like