Redirect VLAN out of physical USB NIC question

HI,

Wonder if someone would kindly advise, and put me on the right track.

So, my scenario is; I am attempting to install a Cisco vWLC on my laptop, in a VMWare Workstation environment. I have installed both VYOS, and vWLC, created a trunk between VYOS and WLC which includes 2 VLANS:

Eth0
Bridge to my laptop NIC, to my home router.

Eth1:
VLAN10 = WLC-Management
VLAN20 = AP-Management (includes DHCP scope for the access points)

Eth2:
External connection to physical AP, bridged to USB NIC connected to laptop.

This works perfectly, having nated the external IP address in ETH0, I am able to web manage the WLC on the internal Management interface (VLAN10).

My issue with the AP VLAN, I would like to redirect this, with a bit of routing, back out a secondary USB NIC on my laptop to an externally connected physical Access Point. I have looking to create a third virtual NIC in VMware, associate this with VYOS and then in someway bridge the Ethernet adapter so that it appears on the same VLAN as that of my AP-Management VLAN, and then communicates with my WLC?

I am at the point where I am struggling to see the woods for the trees now!

Regards
Craig

Pretty certain this may help me:

Adding VLANs to a Bridge

If you don’t have a switch, or want to use your VyOS router as a root switch, you may want to trunk the same VLANs over multiple ports. Bridges are helpful in this case. Here is an example config:

set interfaces bridge br2 set interfaces ethernet eth2 vif 2 bridge-group bridge br2 set interfaces ethernet eth2 vif 2 address 192.0.2.1/24

If you don’t want to bother with VLANs, you can simply add an address to the bridge interface just like any other interface:

set interfaces bridge br2 address 192.0.2.1/24

I think (hopefully) I am making some progress:

vif 20 {
     bridge-group {
         bridge br0
     }
     description AP-Management
 }

}
ethernet eth2 {
bridge-group {
bridge br0
}
description “Outer to USB NIC”
hw-id 00:0c:29:de:7d:08

I am missing DHCP on the VLAN now, which I need to do through vyos.

Hi,

I solved my own issue, so I am leaving a comment here just in case anyone else is looking to do the same.

So I chose not to use VYOS in the end (not the reason why I couldn’t get it to work); I used a combination on GNS3, GNS3 VM, VMWare Workstation; images for a Windows Server 2016, Cisco Router, Cisco Switch, Cisco WLC, a physical Cisco 1142 access point, and an additional USB NIC. I built a real world topology in GNS3 and redirected the management vlan to a local usb nic on my laptop and so was able to achieve what I required.

I am now able to join an AP to my WLC, and use all functionality. I feal this approach gives me a better real world feal.