Two domain names?

Hey,

So I’m totally new to VyOS, but I’m planning to use it for static mapping and dhcp on a storage network - nothing too spectacular

Since the VyOS will have access to two networks, is it possible to configure two domain names?

E.g.:

eth0 192.168.1.0/24 is lan.net
 eth1 172.16.1.0/24 is storage.net

VyOS eth1 will be 172.16.1.1 and hand out IPs, resolve names on storage.net only, but still have access to lan.net on eth0.

I tried the command set system domain-name domain.name, it doesn’t appear to accept multiple entries.

Or would it make more sense to re-engineer the topology to use a subdomain for storage, and the same domain for both networks - e.g. storage.lan.net?

Hi, I think you need to try to set it with DHCP Server options for different networks, if I understand you properly

set service dhcp-server shared-network-name lan.net subnet 192.168.1.0/24 domain-name lan.net
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name storage.net subnet 172.16.1.0/24 domain-name storage.net
1 Like

Perfect, thanks! :slight_smile:

Although, I don’t want to run a dhcp server on VyOS for lan.net, so I’m guessing I should make lan.net my system’s search domain, and storage.net my dhcp shared-network-name (?)

I do plan to have VyOS hand out IPs on storage.net, but I don’t intend to NAT between the two. storage.net will be entirely separate, and only available to VMs that have another vNIC attached to that network.

Edit: Additionally, I’d like VyOS to serve as a rudimentary DNS, is static-host-mapping what I’m looking for? Entering each name manually is entirely fine.