1.3/1.4 "$ set console keymap" not working

The above command (in monitor mode) calls up dpkg-reconfigure and changes /etc/default/keyboard and localectl status data.

In 1.2, the changes trigger a reload of the systemd unit keyboard-setup.service and the new keymap is applied.
In 1.3 and 1.4, the changes do not trigger a reload and the new keymap isn’t applied.
$ sudo systemctl restart keyboard-setup.service does not fix this

In 1.2, the output of $ systemctl status keyboard-setup.service is:
Active: active (exited)

In 1.3 and 1.4, the output of the same command is:

Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed
     ConditionPathExists=/bin/setupcon was not met

And in fact, in both 1.3 and 1.4 /bin/setupcon doesn’t exist, while it exists in 1.2.

# set system option keyboard-layout 'xy' still works across 1.3 and 1.4

This has been detected in the 1.3 version since at least monthly-2020-11 (Build commit ID b35660db9bd641) and in 1.4 up to 1.4-rolling-20211018xxxxx
The reports from version 1.2 are from 1.2 crux (Build commit ID 402d80498683f2).

For more details, check this thread: Change keyboard layout

Hello @tigas , I see that it works properly on VyOS-1.3epa2 and latest 1.4 rolling 1.4-rolling-202110240217

How I can reproduce described issue?

Also, if you need to configure keyboard layout try the following commands

configure
set system option keyboard-layout fr
commit

Hello @Dmitry.
First of all, this is in direct console mode under Virtualbox (not serial, not a real system)
An SSH connection gets the correct layout of the client that is connected.
The second set of commands (set system option keyboard-layout fr) works. I just use ‘no’ most of the time because it’s closer to Portuguese.
Has the $ set console keymap command in monitoring mode been deprecated for # set system option keyboard-layout in configuration mode? Because at this time, the conf. mode command only supports a few layouts. But if it is deprecated, this isn’t a bug - the “bug” is not supporting enough layouts with the configuration mode command.
In 1.2, the monitoring mode command calls up the Debian console configuration and then restarts the keyboard-setup.service, allowing all keyboard layouts available in Debian.
In 1.3-epa2 and 1.4-rolling-202110180513, the monitoring mode command doesn’t work and keyboard-setup.service can’t run to apply the changes.
I believe the build scripts for 1.3 and 1.4 are, at least, not including the Debian package that provides /bin/setupcon because that file is needed for calling keyboard-setup.service and applying the Debian keymap.

To reproduce:

1. Install 1.3-epa2 with install image and default options
  2. Boot into installed image and login as vyos
  3. $ set console keymap
  4. Generic 105-key PC (intl.) / Other / Portuguese / Portuguese / The default for the keyboard layout / No compose key
  5. Test keymap: the key to the left of Right Shift should be ‘-’; if it’s ‘/’ the keymap is still US

Behaviour of 1.2 after step 4:

update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
[ ok ] Restarting keyboard-setup (via systemctl): keyboard-setup.service.

Step 5 in 1.2: keymap is changed

Behaviour of 1.3 and 1.4 after step 4: drops to prompt (monitoring mode)
Step 5 in 1.3 and 1.4: keymap isn’t changed

systemctl status keyboard-setup.service
In 1.2:

● keyboard-setup.service - LSB: Set preliminary keymap
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/keyboard-setup)
   Active: active (exited) since Mon 2021-10-25 14:05:37 UTC; 3min 27s ago
  Process: 2362 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/keyboard-setup stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 2367 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/keyboard-setup start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

In 1.3/1.4:

● keyboard-setup.service - Set the console keyboard layout
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/keyboard-setup.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at Mon 2021-10-25 14:00:24 UTC; 9min ago
           └─ ConditionPathExists=/bin/setupcon was not met

Oct 25 13:42:59 vyos systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Set the console keyboard layout being skipped.
Oct 25 13:43:44 vyos systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Set the console keyboard layout being skipped.
Oct 25 14:00:24 vyos systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Set the console keyboard layout being skipped.

ls -l /bin/setupcon
In 1.2:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32039 Apr 21 2015 /bin/setupcon
In 1.3/1.4:
ls: cannot access '/bin/setupcon': No such file or directory

@tigas, thank you for the explanation. Let me figure out is this command really useful or this is just rudiment-feature. In my practice I never seen that anyone used it.