1.3 RC2 DHCP client bug CONFIRMED

I thought I recognised that name! Hope you’re well. Another route could be trying from a basic config and slowing adding in sections at a time… Painful I know.

What’s your routing table in 1.3 with the 1.4 modded config?

Well I just tried a completely fresh config and only configured eth4 for dhcp. Still nothing. Starting to wonder if there is a dhcp bug in RC2.

I will spin an RC2 image up tomorrow morning and see if I have DHCP issues as well. Will let you know.

Will look forward to seeing what you find. I gotta believe it’s a dhcp issue at this point given the elementary config and the fact that the router still sees my uplink in the routing table and has it set as the default route. I just can’t ping it or get internet connectivity.

1.3 RC1 works like a charm with no dhcp issues or other shenanigans other than having to redo my tables. RC2 is broken from what I can see. I will try to reinstall and update from 1.3 RC1 to see if things work that way.

Just readded the 1.3 RC2 image via my working 1.3 RC1 installation. Rebooted the router and bam, no DHCP. At this point I am 100% certain RC2 DHCP client is broken big time. Only took my until 0130 my time to sort it out. Welcome any and all outside confirmation or refutation. Vyos team, let’s hope this is fixed for RC3.

I concur, just installed RC2 in esxi, most basic config and cannot get a DHCP lease.

Confirmed working on RC1 with the same config file. Definitely broken.

Couldn’t wait until tomorrow eh? If it makes you feel any better it is tomorrow here already where I’m at.

Well just had to take a peek… Quick to do in esxi and then fiddled around to make sure I wasn’t going crazy as couldn’t get it to work. Strange that such a fundamental bug would get into an RC.

Even stranger that I had this happen once before with a 1.2 nightly back in the day. Freaking tore my hair out then as well. Argh!

I’m really glad you posted this so I didn’t spend all night trying to figure it out myself.

I can confirm the same issue though, I upgraded from 1.3.0-rc1 to rc2 and was unable to get a dhcp lease for my WAN interface no matter what I tried.

Is rc2 released? Can you point me to the location.

https://vyos.net/get/snapshots/#vyos-1.3.0-rc1

https://vyos.net/get/snapshots/

The task for it. ⚓ T3428 dhcp-client doesnt get ip address

Thanks, hopefully a quick fix.

Is there a set of regression tests you run on releases/RC etc, that look to cover the fundamentals of functionality before being made available? DHCP breaking on an RC might be something that should be caught way earlier in your labs.

Thanks for confirming the issue and creating the big report. I’ll look out for the next RC which hopefully has a fix for that. Generally speaking, how frequently do you all plan on releasing the RC candidates?

Sorry about the broken rc2! I didn’t include information about it in the 1.2.7 post precisely because of broken DHCP client, but I failed to prevent the links from appearing on the website in time.

I’ve removed those images to avoid more people running into the bug.

We are planning to make release candidate images about every two weeks, as we fix those bugs.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. I really have come to appreciate how transparent the Vyos team is with its efforts and decisions. Look forward to testing the next RC. I’m really looking forward to a final Vyos 1.3

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.