10G vmxnet3

Hi

Im a new vyatta and now by the looks of things a new vyos user.

Wondering if it possible to get 10G throughput on a VM

I have a centos 6.5 able to do 9Gbs on a 10G link, I am hoping to do around 9Gb/s routing.

my initial trial with vyatta looks like its limited to 1G

does vyos have the same problem ?

A

Hi

Sorry your right, not enough info.

So I am looking at a Virtualised environment, VMWare 5.5 esxi
Currently i have 10G core switching in place and my hosts have 4 x 10G nic’s

I am using Centos 6.5 and Windows 7 2008

I have done some initial testing centos → centos and I can push sustained around 9Gb/s on the vmxnet3 nic emulation. this is with iperf not routing, but I am not expecting an order of magnitude difference !

I was hoping to use a packaged firewall/router solution but i have run into some limitations

RouterOS … well no support for vmxnet3 nic, limited to 1G through put and seems to be limited to 1 core …

vyatta … looked good until I realized that VC is dead and I hate to think what brocade are going to charge … they started to talk about per core licensing :frowning:

So eventually with some digging I got to here.

1. i don’t think routing 10G in a VM should be unreasonable… I would be happy with 5Gb/s anything more than then 1Gb/s

2. I don’t want to build it on centos … means I have to get zebra / quagga or bird running and well …

3. my hope is that vyott might be able to do it. I tried the old VC and got 1Gb/s with the vmxnet 3 driver.

My guess/hope is once the base it brought up to latest kernel and the VMWare driver is updated their might be a chance. I am actually liking the vyatta interface. infact more than the routeros one

A

EDIT:

I have done some quick testing and it seems like I can get an aggregate throughput of around 6.7Gb/s with a straight centos 6.5 image 2 nic vmxnet3 … this is the router. from server A to router 9.6Gb/s and server B to router 9.6Gb/s

server A via router to server B around 6.7Gb/s

It is not limited to anything, at least, not intentionally.

I’d like to see test details. For the fair test you need to use an external traffic generator and receiver, preferrably IXIA/Spirent/Xena device, but a reasonably modern server is fine too.

Hi

Ta, for now, I think I will wait, i have fallen back onto the our 10G switches turned on routing there.

I did think a vm → vm router → vm was a fair test. I tried vyatta and routeros in the vm router spot.

i just realised i presumed the current vyos == vyatta vc … so didn’t specifically try vyos

for now, I will sit with the switches and come back and check in 6 months

just a sanity check - can you confirm what driver was loaded on vyos? sudo ethtool -i eth0 - should show vmxnet3. I remember vmxnet is 1GBs while vmxnet is 10Gbs. In my tests with iperf I have not seen any difference between centos VM/vyatta with vmxnet3, showed ~9.8Gbs, but it was between vyatta and other VM running on the same ESXi host.

thanks, Andrey

This is very usefully for me :slight_smile:

Well, bit over 6 months.

I see there has been some activity here. Good.

I will have to give it a go again.

Has any one else tried any performance testing…

Thanks

Generally speaking, PPS, not throughput, is what will ultimately kill an x86-based router. So, the question is 10G at what PPS? Is this straight-routing, or are firewalls/policies involved?

10G routing on any straight x86-based router is probably a bad idea for mission critical environments, as things stand today.

with a single core, I hit around 3Gbps with 1500byte packets. We use multiple VyOS virtual instances for our core routing and have been pretty happy.