Authentication Failure/ Configuration Error on boot

I’m trying to build VyOS ISO on docker as mentioned here Build VyOS — VyOS 1.4.x (sagitta) documentation

I’m running the following command
docker run --rm -it --privileged -v $(pwd):/vyos -w /vyos vyos/vyos-build:current bash

Post this I generate to build an AMI following these instructions : build-ami/README.md at master · vyos-legacy/build-ami · GitHub

./configure
sudo make AWS

I do this in place of sudo make iso so the ami is EC2 compatible.

However, when I deploy the AMI to EC2 , I get this error while Vyos boots up:

vyos-config[1671]: Configuration Error
Welcome to vyos -ip-30-0-48-10 tty1
ip-30-0-48-10 login:user (automatic login)

Authentication failure.

=====================================
All of this works for the vyos 1.2 crux. But fails for sagitta. Any pointers on how to debug or fix this ?

I’m not sure how to troubleshoot it, but I have the exact same error / scenario with a vmware build of 1.3 deployed from an OVA.

Did you find any threads to pull on in solving this one?

I’m running into the same issue with a 1.3 build installing on hardware. My assumption at this point is that something in the default config doesn’t get applied properly (maybe because of unsupported hardware?) and that cascades down to the initial login credential config not getting applied properly either.

Troubleshooting will probably involve finding the default config on the squashfs and figure out what’s causing the configuration error, fix it, and it should apply cleanly.

Same here on (Xen) IBM Cloud VSI with 1.3.0

Just in case. For virtual platforms is much easier to use GitHub - vyos/vyos-vm-images to generate an image.

To resolve the issue Authentication Failure.

Reset your Yvos and at the logon menu.
Select Yvos Change Password (KVM COnsole)
At the prompt to Change your Admin Password (y or n) type y and enter
To change admin password (Yvos)? type user and hit enter (ignore any message that is displayed between use and r.
It will reboot and you should be login
Hope this help

A Basic Lab Setup Using VyOS on vSphere / ESXi