Building isos without Docker?

vyos-1-2

Has anyone successfully built an iso image NOT using Docker ? Or is this the only approved/working way to build ISOs now ? I’m not particularly fond of Docker, and maintain a 64-bit debian build host for various other things anyway, and was previously making the isos on that box, but this seems to be broken in 1.2 (and maybe 1.3? )

I’ve checked out crux, and run configure, which tells me all of the prerequisites are installed, but make iso gives this:

[2019-02-03 11:44:58] lb binary_package-lists
P: Begin installing local package lists…
[2019-02-03 11:44:58] lb binary_linux-image
P: Begin install linux-image…
cp: cannot stat ‘chroot/boot/initrd.img-*’: No such file or directory
P: Begin unmounting filesystems…
P: Saving caches…
Reading package lists…
Building dependency tree…
Reading state information…

and indeed the initrd.img is not in chroot/boot …

I haven’t seen that particular problem but I have successfully built an ISO without Docker.

Note that the configure shell script only checks for a very small number of the build prerequisites. I took all the commands from of the Dockerfile, deleted all the /^RUN / - so that they can all just run as shell commands. That way I got a much longer list of build prerequisites.

Having said that I have been working on the current branch, not that crux branch.

That seemed to do the trick. Perhaps the Wiki should be updated to reflect this

I’m happy to do that, if someone will give my account permission to do so…

Getting write access to the Wiki:

Wiki registration is now closed due to excessive spam, but we create accounts for everyone who’s interested in editing it. Just drop an email to wiki@vyos.io or contact dmbaturin on IRC or syncer on Slack. Sometimes we cannot handle requests immediately and it may take a few days (or more) for someone to take action

It took a few days for someone to get back to me…

I do not use Docker, as I use LXC. I can say that the pace of change of the project since about September has interfered with their ability to update documentation. I experienced the exact issue you describe. I fixed it and then it came back. Then I fixed it again.

Keep monitoring the Docker file. Make certain your build stays in sync with the defined pre-requisites.