Can't install on Supermicro X11SSL-F

Hello.
I’m having the exact same problem as described in https://forum.vyos.net/showthread.php?tid=2438&page=3
This little server has no floppy and I could not find a setting to disable USB 3 other than forcing USB to “legacy”.
I’ve tried both the i586 and amd64 iso.
I still get the exact same errors as described in the previous post:

Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

etc, etc

This server was bought for this purpose only, so if I can’t get it to work I’m in deep trouble :frowning:
Any idea how to solve this?
Thanks and regards.
Dave

Dave,
install hypevisor of your choice on this machine, and deploy VyOS as VM

disable xhci and enable ehci mode in the bios
If that doesn’t work, then try plug a normal cdrom into the board and install it the old school cdrom way

Thanks for the reply.
Same problem when installing from external CD.

Is there any other way to install directly , without the use of a hypervisor?
Any help apreciated.
Thanks and regards.
Dave

Thanks for the reply.
xhci disabled ( no ehci enable mode) but still shows the same error when booting from external CD.

Hey Dave,

Curious to see how you went on this one?

Any reason as to why you don’t want to use a hypervisor? like ESXI?

Zane.

Hello. Thanks for the reply. Actually, I had to to use vmware EXSI with the vyos.OVA provided download.
The reason I was trying to avoid this was mainly to performance, because althouth this is a new server, it is not that powerful. This is the first time I’m installing ESXi (I’m only used to Oracle VM, but I can’t use it this time) and I’m still working on understanding how vm network connections are handled.

My physical server only has 2 network ports. One is used by vmware management and I also intend to used it as internal vswitch port for VMs. The Other for external IPs. Not able to accomplish that yet.

Anyway, thanks. Aparently it works fine with vmware.
Regards.

Dave,
don’t worry about performance, you should be fine virtualized.

I hope so :slight_smile:
I’ll set the topic as solved.
Thanks guys.
Regards

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.