DHCP Relay Not Working [Help Request]

Hi, I’m attempting to use dhcp relay in order to ask my upstream pfsense box for dhcp addresses. I’ve hardcoded eth1’s (management) IP address as 10.10.0.5. I could also set it to dhcp (client) and get the same ip (static map on pfsense). Regardless, I know I can talk to the dhcp service on pfsense when requesting an ip (as proven by eth1). For eth2-8, I have my workstations plugged in. Currently I only have eth2 plugged in. I want to use dhcp-relay to forward these addresses to request dhcp from the upstream pfsense.

Here’s my interfaces:

Interface IP Address S/L Description

eth1 10.10.0.5/16 u/u management
eth2 - u/u port-mb2
eth3 - u/D port-mb3

lo 127.0.0.1/8 u/u
::1/128

Here’s my relay config:

dhcp-relay {
    interface eth2
    interface eth3

interface eth1
relay-options {
hop-count 10
max-size 576
relay-agents-packets discard
}
server 10.10.0.1
}

The pfsense box is located at 10.10.0.1. You can see I’ve also included eth1 on my dhcp-relay as apparently the interface you request dhcp from during a relay also has to be included as the wiki/forums state.

Basically, when I request an IP from my station on eth2 (using dhcpcd on linux), it times out. I could really use some advice here. Also worth noting, I have no dhcp server running configured on the vyos box. Does the dhcp server have to be configured in order for dhcp-relay to work? I’m not using a private subnet (yet).

Other configs:

name-server 10.10.0.1
gateway-address 10.10.0.1

Any advice is appreciated. This is my first vyos setup and I’m really hoping I can get this to work because it’s so simple to work with.

Edit:

After getting some help on the IRC, I’ve updated my settings. I’ve bridged my interfaces (except eth1, the management/internet interface). I’ve also added only eth1 (management) and br0 to the dhcp-relay. I’m still having issues as the station on eth2 can’t get an IP unfortunately

interfaces {
bridge br0 {
aging 300
hello-time 2
max-age 20
priority 0
stp false
}
ethernet eth1 {
address 10.10.0.5/16
description management
duplex auto
hw-id ac:1f:6b:03:3f:ee
smp_affinity auto
speed auto
}
ethernet eth2 {
bridge-group {
bridge br0
}
description port-mb2
duplex auto
hw-id ac:1f:6b:03:3f:ef
smp_affinity auto
speed auto
}
ethernet eth3 {
bridge-group {
bridge br0
}

}

}
service {
dhcp-relay {
interface br0
interface eth1
relay-options {
hop-count 10
max-size 576
relay-agents-packets discard
}
server 10.10.0.1
}
}
system {
gateway-address 10.10.0.1
}

We’ve talked about this on the IRC but I’ll duplicate the answer here.

This setup will not work as an L2 switch because by default interfaces are in the L3 mode, just like in most other devices that are primarily routers (Cisco ISR and so on).

To bridge interfaces, use these commands:

set interfaces bridge br0
set interfaces ethernet eth2 bridge-group bridge br0
set interfaces ethernet eth3 bridge-group bridge br0

set service dhcp-relay interface eth1
set service dhcp-relay interface br0

Some Linux implementations of Linux need to have a scope configured on an interface, to make them enable DHCP server on that interface.

Try making a dummy scope for network 10.10.0.0/24 on pfsense

Sorry when I bring back this topic, however, the solution you suggested feels a bit crappy.

I have multiple, separated networks. I want to have them separated.
Now, (to enable PXE Boot on my case), I want one server, that receives the DHCP Requests, from all networks.
If I now bridge them all, it basically makes the separate networks useless in the first place?