Gretap not working in 1.4

Hi All,

We’ve been running v1.3 for several years as a L2oGRE end-point for Ruckus AP’s (e.g SoftGRE) to bridge guest wireless over a private MPLS. This has worked extremely well.

set interfaces tunnel tun0 encapsulation 'gre-bridge'
set interfaces tunnel tun0 local-ip '10.0.0.1'
set interfaces tunnel tun0 remote-ip '192.168.1.1'

To keep up to date with the latest OS, we’ve tried to move to 1.4 rolling, where I appreciate the syntax has changed for this feature to use ‘gretap’ instead of ‘gre-bridge’ amongst other things. So the config now stands as -

set interfaces tunnel tun0 encapsulation 'gretap'
set interfaces tunnel tun0 remote '10.0.0.1'
set interfaces tunnel tun0 source-address '192.168.1.1'

The VyOS host is a VM on VMWare, with a 802.1Q trunk on eth1 which connects directly to an SRX FW to do DHCP and security policy and a bridge (br0) with the trunk, and tunnel interfaces as members.

set interfaces bridge br0 aging '300'
set interfaces bridge br0 description '*** GRE-TUNNEL to eth1 802.1Q INTERFACE ***'
set interfaces bridge br0 hello-time '2'
set interfaces bridge br0 ip
set interfaces bridge br0 max-age '20'
set interfaces bridge br0 member interface eth1
set interfaces bridge br0 member interface tun0
set interfaces bridge br0 member interface tun1
set interfaces bridge br0 member interface tun2
set interfaces bridge br0 member interface tun3
set interfaces bridge br0 member interface tun4
set interfaces bridge br0 member interface tun5
set interfaces bridge br0 member interface tun6
set interfaces bridge br0 priority '0'

Try as we might, we can’t get traffic to pass through the tunnel interfaces onto the bridge.

If we revert back to the v1.3 VM, it works straight-away.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this doesn’t work in v1.4?

Cheers
Andy

Hello @millap , I deployed the similar topology like yours and it works on the latest rolling. I think you need to make research with tcpdump.

Additional question, which exactly 1.4 in use?

Hi @Dmitry

Thanks for the response.

The issue is resolved. The fix, use e1000e on VMWare instead of vxnet.

Cheers
Andy

Hi @Dmitry @millap vyos 1.4 gretap can worked on openstack ?

it should work , some cases where it works as bridge/bond needs to change to e1000 driver (on NIC).

thanks @fernando I will try

Hi @fernando I creat vyos vm on openstack and config tunnel encapsulation gretap connect another openstack vpc is can be worked !, but we need to change vm network adapter config on openstack all vm port security need to close in openstack thanks again

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.