Hardwdare Recommendations for VyOS-based SOHO Router

Hi everyone,

I have been running VyOS as my main home-office router on an old laptop for a few months, and I have been very impressed. However, I cannot get my VoIP phone calls to come stop being choppy no matter what QOS settings I try to use. I had the same problem with pfSense and several Linux router distros, so I think it's just a hardware issue. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good setup for a home-office router hardware that I can purchase to run VyOS -- something that will hopefully get me over my VoIP woes!

I have a 20Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up connection, and two wireless networks (one internal wireless with two VLANs -- one for personal and for for business --, and one guest wireless network). I need about 8 LAN ports so I was going to get a layer-3 switch with VLAN support. Well, either that or switch completely to MikroTik just for the Hotspot support with Captive Portal. But, if I can get decent hardware for VyOS for under $200, I'll stick with open source and just re-use one of my wireless routers with OpenWRT/LEDE for the hotspot/captive portal stuff for my guest wifi.

If you have specific links to Amazon, Walmart, or NewEgg, please link away!! Something under $250 I think would be my max, otherwise I'll just go with MikroTik at this point.

Thanks!

Hi,
thanks for interest, we don´t have extensive list of HW (we plan to fix this with latest version 1.2 which is based on debian 8)
Some people shared devices that they used please check
https://wiki.vyos.net/wiki/Network_appliances

Also you can grab EdgeRouter Lite (EdgeOS just like VyOS is a for of Vyatta)

Thank you, that link is very helpful!

May I suggest that you make this link more prevalent? My first question, and probably that on many people’s minds, was what hardware does VyOS run on? I understand in runs on x86 hardware but specifically which appliances has it been tested on (since not all hardware is great for use as a router)? It would be a good idea to link to that hardware/appliance wiki page right from VyOS’s home page. It would also be great to have a main section in this forum dedicated to Hardware. This is what ZeroShell does and it has elicited participation.

I have had a hard time finding hardware it WON’T run on…