Huawei LTE Module ME909s-120 support

Hello,
i recently bought a PC-Engines APU4d and opted for a LTE miniPCI. i didn’t paied attention to the card type and i ended up with a Huawei ME909s-120.
with the rolling image from 17072020 when i boot it get’s detected as a usb Huawei mobile V7R11, but it don’t show up in the interfaces lists.
a show hardware usb report it as Huawei ME906s LTE M.2 Module.
Anyone have some info on how to get this card working?
are there in the kernel a option i can enable or compile?
i have not installed any sim card, i figure it should be recognized without.
Thanks

Hi @cnicules,

I know it maybe too late but there is a list of “known to work” modules at https://docs.vyos.io/en/latest/configuration/interfaces/wirelessmodem.html#supported-modules. I for myself use also an APU4C4 board and did all the WWAN development on the rolling release there. From my knowledge there might be “special” cards which require some special udev treatment (Sierra MC7710 for isntance).

If you retrieve the module id via show system usb serial the Model you receive is the one branded into the WWAN EEPROM.

but it don’t show up in the interfaces lists.

It will only show up in the list once you properly configure it using this guide: https://docs.vyos.io/en/latest/configuration/interfaces/wirelessmodem.html

If this still does not work we can chat on https://slack.vyos.io and get your card working/add support for it. But you should get yourself a SIM card first so we can properly test it.

Hi,
trying to configure and i get errors at the device name.
if i don’t add a device and only an apn i get a commit fail.
if i want to add a device i don’t know the name, tryed different ttyUSB, usb001, all fail.
There is nothing at the output of the “show system usb serial”

vyos@vyos:~$ show system usb
/: Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/2p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
|__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Communications, Driver=cdc_mbim, 480M
|__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 1, Class=CDC Data, Driver=cdc_mbim, 480M
/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 5000M
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 480M

vyos@vyos:~$ show hardware usb
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 12d1:15c1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. ME906s LTE M.2 Module
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
vyos@vyos:~$

vyos@vyos:~$ show hardware usb detail
Couldn’t open device, some information will be missing

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 12d1:15c1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. ME906s LTE M.2 Module
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 255
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x12d1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
idProduct 0x15c1 ME906s LTE M.2 Module
bcdDevice 1.02
iManufacturer 1
iProduct 2
iSerial 3

i’ve created an account on slack

Thanks
Ciprian

The commands have recently changed to better fit into the existing layout. Please try: show hardware usb serial. Or simply send me a direct message via Slack.

Progress is tracked here ⚓ T3063 Add support for Huawei LTE Module ME909s-120

Hi…you should test on FreeBSD. mpd5 is somewhat intense yet I have the 2 documents required posted here on the gathering. mpd.conf and mpd.script is all you need. PPP works however is a torment so jump to mpd5. It is the thing that opn/pfsense utilizes for cell associations.

Wondering for no specific reason, is this a CDMA or GSM radio?

Hello,
i gave up on vyos and moved to pfsense. not beacouse of LTE not working, but needed more services and simpler to manage with a gui.
and yes LTE do works, but also had problems to make it work.
Cheers,
C