Inconsistency in wlm interface (ppp)

Something interesting and strange while bringing up 3G LTE interface. Here is my configuration to enable wlm0 LTE interface

[size=xx-small][color=inherit][size=xx-small]wirelessmodem[/size][/color] wlm0 {[/size]
[size=xx-small] device ttyUSB4[/size]
[size=xx-small] network airtel[/size]
[size=xx-small] no-[color=inherit][size=xx-small]dns[/size][/color][/size]
[size=xx-small] }[/size]

1). NetworkManager brought up [color=inherit][size=small]the ppp0[/size][/color] interface and got an IP address from the provider. Confirmed from the console logs as well as [color=inherit][size=small]Unix[/size][/color] admin “[color=inherit][size=small]ifconfig[/size][/color] -a” command.
The issue is while executing operational command for “show interfaces”, [color=inherit][size=small]vyos[/size][/color] doesn’t show neither ‘wlm0’ nor ‘ppp0’. Why?

[size=x-small]ppp0 Link [color=inherit][size=x-small]encap[/size][/color][color=inherit][size=x-small]:Point-to-Point[/size][/color] Protocol[/size]
[size=x-small] inet addr: P-t-P: Mask:[/size]
[size=x-small] UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1[/size]
[size=x-small] RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0[/size]
[size=x-small] TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0[/size]
[size=x-small] collisions:0 txqueuelen:3[/size]
[size=x-small] RX bytes:266 (266.0 B) TX bytes:265 (265.0 B)[/size]
[size=x-small]vyos@vyos:~$ show interfaces[/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Codes: S - State, L - Link, u - Up, D - Down, A - Admin Down[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small]Interface IP Address S/L Description[/size]
[size=xx-small]--------- ---------- — -----------[/size]
[size=xx-small]eth0 - A/D[/size]
[size=xx-small]eth1 - u/D[/size]
[size=xx-small]eth2 - u/D[/size]
[size=xx-small]eth3 - u/D[/size]
[size=xx-small]eth4 - u/D[/size]
[size=xx-small]eth5 - u/D[/size]
[size=xx-small]lo [color=#1155cc][/color] u/u[/size]
[size=xx-small] ::1/128[/size]

2). I went ahead, ran operation command “show [color=inherit][size=small]ip[/size][/color] route”, [color=inherit][size=small]vyos[/size][/color] added a route for wlm0 that is correct, but it is showing ‘wlm0’ as inactive. Why?

[size=x-small]vyos@vyos:~$ show ip route[/size]
[size=x-small]Codes: K - kernel route, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, O - OSPF,[/size]
[size=x-small] I - ISIS, B - BGP, > - selected route, * - FIB route[/size]
[size=x-small]S [color=#1155cc][/color] [10/0] is directly connected, wlm0 inactive[/size]
[size=x-small]S [color=#1155cc][/color] [1/0] via inactive[/size]
[size=x-small]C>* [color=#1155cc][/color] is directly connected, ppp0[/size]
[size=x-small]C>* [color=#1155cc][/color] is directly connected, lo[/size]

  1. Further to it, I tried from [color=inherit][size=small]unix[/size][/color] admin added default route “route add default dev ppp0”, and able to ping via the ppp0 interface

[size=x-small]root@vyos:/home/vyos# route add default dev ppp0[/size]
[size=x-small]root@vyos:/home/vyos# ping[/size]
[size=x-small]PING ( 56(84) bytes of data.[/size]
[size=x-small]64 bytes from [color=#1155cc][/color]: icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=629 ms[/size]
[size=x-small]64 bytes from [color=#1155cc][/color]: icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=269 ms[/size]

I know there is some disconnect but [color=inherit][size=small]dont[/size][/color] know where. Could anyone please correct me.

My [color=inherit][size=small]vyos[/size][/color] version is
[size=xx-small]vyos@vyos:~$ show version[/size]
[size=xx-small]No hypervisor detected[/size]
[size=xx-small]Version: VyOS 999.201801111542[/size]
[size=xx-small]Built by:[/size]
[size=xx-small]Built on: Thu 11 Jan 2018 15:42 UTC[/size]
[size=xx-small]Build ID: d4cf560b-9641-472f-b7c4-83b039db0522[/size]


We don’t need 4 posts regarding the same issue.