Kea dhcp server in VyOS

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for the great work of keeping VyOS alive.

I am currently interested in the new DHCP server being developed by the ISC. It’s name is KEA. Have a look at http://kea.isc.org/wiki or GitHub - isc-projects/kea: A modern, scalable, robust DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 server, with database (MySQL, PostgreSQL), hooks, multi-threading, RADIUS, NETCONF, Kerberos and more. for more info.

I was wondering how much work would it take to replace the venerable isc_dhcp3 with kea.

As far as I’ve seen, I would have to:

Any ideas thoughts, advices, warnings or discouragements?

Thanks.
Adrian

PS: I am an absolute newbie in vyos so please excuse my ignorance (working on it though)

1 Like

I’ve been interested in this for a while, too. However, for our needs as a service provider, we’re preparing to implement Kea as a standalone service, and taking advantage of the database back-end option. Either way, I think there are real advantages of adopting Kea over the legacy ISC DHCP.

FYI, there are packages for Debian now, and a lot of progress has been made since this initial thread post: Cloudsmith - Repositories - ISC - Internet Systems Consortium (isc) - kea-1-8 (kea-1-8) - Package Groups.

Hello @eronlloyd, for ISP I prefer to use IPoE service. With service, IPoE your router can serv sessions started as DHCP or unclassified packet, get auth info from RADIUS, and store accountin, etc.

Hi @Dmitry. Yes, technically we implement our CPE provisioning using IPoE already. We are a GPON-based FTTX service provider, and the ONT/ONU is just a bridge assigned to a VLAN where the DHCP service is listening for broadcasts.

One of the big advantages of Kea is their hooks libraries, which we plan to use to further automate the provisioning process. This level of customization I wouldn’t want to run on a VyOS instance, in general. At least not for our types of requirements.