Latest rolling is broken - 1.4-rolling-202105020417

delete the 1.4-test, re-applied. Failed config commit on first boot so I logged in via the vmware console. Edited config.boot to remove the hw-id fields. Saved and rebooted.

Interfaces came back up fine, although a phantom eth4 and eth5 were added. Manually deleted those, rebooted and all seems ok at this stage.

Looks to be fixed, but definitely not a seamless upgrade with the manual steps above.

Will check my other standard flows, wireguard etc. but so far looking good.

@phillipmcmahon we found an additional issue and now trying to fix it.

ok, let me know when I should either try a new image via the link posted above or a regular rolling 1.4.

Hello @phillipmcmahon. I built a new ISO for you with improvements, could you test it https://cdn.vyos.io/test-releases/VyOS-1.4-test-net-names-02.iso?

Many thanks!

Should I revert back to my 1.3-EPA3 image and attempt to install/upgrade over the top of that?

Yes, It will be good to do this, and this will confirm that the latest updates will not destroy interface naming

Sorry, another question before I run the upgrade over my working 1.3-EPA3. Should I also deleted all hw-id entries or is that no longer required?

All looks good. “Installed” over the top of the 1.3-EPA3 image, left all config untouched (i.e. did not remove the hw-id entries), rebooted and all came back up in working order.

This seems to be the fix I’ve been looking for. Many many thanks!

1 Like

I’m glad to hear this. You are welcome. But I still need to note, that need to add more improvements for other platforms, already discussed with other developers.

Can you share some details of what was fixed and what remains to be fixed?

Sure. As you know we migrate from legacy Perl code to python and some script logic will be different. Also, udev is multi threads and requires some locks to properly interface naming. So, some details in this PR interface-names: T3871: Add temporary interface names to properly ren… by DmitriyEshenko · Pull Request #1067 · vyos/vyos-1x · GitHub

Thanks once again.

When will this make it into the general 1.4 rolling releases?

Hello @phillipmcmahon, the basic patch is already in repo, but it adds a new problem and unfortunately, it can’t pass the smoke test for producing images. We are continuing to work on this task.

1 Like

oh, that is a pain!

hopefully, a complete and safe fix to the initial problem comes out of this and it gets baked into the rolling release images soon.

1 Like

Hi @phillipmcmahon, all required fixed already in the repo and new rolling image already built
We know about one additional problem on migration, but I think you will not face it

Let me give that a go, and let you know. (still only seeing the rolling ISO from the 9th, I will wait a while until one dated 12/13 appears)

Can you share details of the outstanding issue? Good to know and potentially helpful to others.

Looks like our CI push it when do build automatically

On update as an example from 1.2.8 to 1.4 rolling, migration script runs and vyos-net-name script can not get HW-IDs which belong to interfaces.

I built my own local ISO, and confirm it’s working fine now.

Many thanks for getting me back on 1.4!