Mellanox ConnectX-3 Ethernet mode

I am trying to get a Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC working with VyOS 1.1.7. The problem I am running into is these are multi-mode cards - the default mode is Infiniband.

Evidently, you change the mode by altering entries for each port under /sys. I can get VyOS to recognize the ports as Ethernet if I modify the /sys entries after it boots. However, this does not persist across reboots.

Is there somewhere I can script the necessary commands to run prior to VyOS loading during the boot process? Or perhaps there is a better way to solve this, I just started playing around with the cards today . . .

Hi,
You need to load drivers with some options maybe?
I will assume that it’s possible with correct initrd image and settings
I think maybe it better to work on that in 1.2

Thanks for the suggestions. I did find there is “normally” a file in /etc you can create, but I can’t do that in this case. I am going to give 1.2 a shot and see if anything is different.

Hi,
1.2 is more general suggestion (e.g. fresher driver, and we can consider new features there)
Regarding the file, if so, we may need to create detection system for such cards and create it on boot if card detected

Right. I did not see any change in behavior with 1.2. I was hoping maybe something would have changed with a newer driver. I am going to try to put together a custom build to get it working.

An update on this. As it turns out, Mellanox has a tool that can set the default mode on the card itself. We booted the card up in a standard Linux install and used that.