Monitoring VyOS using visualisation?

In 1.4 rolling, I’m using the ‘containers’ feature to run New Relic’s docker container. That was relatively easy, if you don’t mind sending your monitoring data to a third party. I didn’t see a clean way to get access to the logs, so I used Vyos ‘syslog’ feature to send the logs to a VM running ‘fluentd.’ Fluentd then sends the logs to NewRelic.

syslog {
        host monitor0.internal {
            facility all {
                level info
                protocol udp
            }
            port 5140
        }
    }

That was more complicated, but it gave me a Vyos config that will persist across versions and is easy to copy to new instances.

The new Telegraf integration looks interesting! I will check that out! I used Telegraf on Pfsense to get my stats to NewRelic. I like the containers feature of 1.4 much better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does anyone have a good idea on how to get some data about what ip’s has the most in/out traffic in mbits and pps? So I can in any platform sort after most traffic’ed IP, and quickly get an overview.

librenms will be more easy.

Hello fellow VyOSers,

been playing around with Prometheus exporter and have some questions:

1. Are there any “production ready” Grafana dashboards for VyOS? I’m using service monitoring telegraf prometheus-client. Some googling and forum search ended up with no results, looks like I have to do some heavy lifting myself :slight_smile:
  2. What’s the best way to gather FRR metrics? GitHub - tynany/frr_exporter: Prometheus exporter for Free Range Routing is great, but using container for such an easy task is kind of overkill.
  3. That one is for devs - any plans to add before-mentioned metrics to current exporter? Should I file feature request?

TIA

Regards,
Konstantin