NewBie Question

Sorry to kill you all with a very basic question.

I am using VYOS for my Hyper-V lab. Enjoying it, but I am a MS guy sorry. Not that familiar with Linux based commands.

How do I remove name servers. I used the :

set system name-server

command. I have multiple name servers. I want to remove them all, bar one, which will be 8.8.8.8.

Many Thanks

delete system name-server set system name-server 8.8.8.8 commit save

Thank you for that. I set google as the DNS nameserver as per your example above.

I find traffic on other subnet does not route to google. Any idea why?

I have two virtual Hyper-V network cards connected to VYOS.

1. Virtual Switch NIC 0: My internet, - External switch type
  2. Virtual Switch NIC 1: Setup as ‘Internal’ in the Virtual Switch manager

When I connect a virtual machine to the external network it works (can ping 8.8.8.8). When I connect a VM to the ‘internal’ network (which as is corresponding NIC attached to VYOS) it doesn’t work.

I know I have the default gateway stuff setup correctly as I can ping between the two networks. Therefore VYOS is routing traffic between networks.

However, VYOS is not routing traffic onto the internet from the internal network.

Any idea please? I expect its something elementary

Can you ping 8.8.8.8? Have you setup a source NAT rule to masquerade your internal addresses?

Seems you were right, NAT was needed, ran these commands:

set nat source rule 100 outbound-interface ‘eth0’
set nat source rule 100 source address ‘192.168.0.0/24’
set nat source rule 100 translation address masquerade

Dont fully understand why though, doesnt the next hop (dlink router) do the NAT?

You probably don’t have a routing statement in the next hop router pointing back to the internal network via the Vyos router.