No DHCP address range or active static-mapping configured within shared-network

I previously set up an older version of the rolling release, but something happened my connection was getting disrupted so I started over… but apparently the commands I used the first time aren’t sufficient.

Following instructions from this blog:

blog.kroy.io/2020/05/04/vyos-from-scratch-edition-1

configure
set interfaces ethernet eth1 address 10.32.0.1/24
set interfaces ethernet eth1 description LAN
commit
save
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.10.10.0/24 range 0 start 10.32.0.50
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.10.10.0/24 range 0 stop 10.32.0.250
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.32.0.0/24 name-server 10.32.0.1 # previously [name-server] was [dns-server]
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.32.0.0/24 default-router 10.32.0.1
commit 
save

at this point I’m stuck with the following error message:

No DHCP address range or active static-mapping configured within shared-network "LAN, 10.32.0.0/24"!

I don’t know where to go from here, any help would be appreciated

Hi @servo ,

are you sure that you want to use 10.10.10.0/24 as network but then assigning range with different network?

Probably the best would be :

set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.32.0.0/24 range 0 start 10.32.0.50
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.32.0.0/24 range 0 stop 10.32.0.250

Best Regards,
Luca

1 Like

ok, so maybe I didn’t copy the commands precisely from my original setup…

does this make sense?

configure
set interfaces ethernet eth1 address 10.10.10.10/24
set interfaces ethernet eth1 description LAN
commit
save
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.10.10.0/24 range 0 start 10.10.10.50
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.10.10.0/24 range 0 stop 10.10.10.250
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.10.10.0/24 name-server 10.10.10.10
set service dhcp-server shared-network-name LAN subnet 10.10.10.0/24 default-router 10.10.10.10
commit save
set service ssh port 22
commit
save

Yes, now looking at this config seems to be correct.

What version of VyOS are you using ?

In my case, I’m using VyOS 1.4-rolling-202209090217 without any problems and also with multiple shared-networks

2 Likes

the latest:

thanks for feedback… I just saved the config gonna plug in and see what I get :slight_smile:

Ok, perfect :wink:

I hope that now the config will start to work as expected

no such luck… I plug one end from my ISP router to my dual nic Zotac box that has vyos loaded on…

I plug another from my computer to that vyos box, and just get caution sign where I hope to see network connected…

This is very strange.
Is it possible to share all the config of the VyOS box … without sensible data

I can suppose that, for example, eth0 is the interface connected to the ISP and then eth1 for the LAN.

If you can share this … could be possible to have more details on that, and try to suggest other tests in regards.

yes, that’s my intention, idk how to be sure, but my ethernet ports are labled 1 and 2, I plugged isp to 1, and 2 to my network switch

You can check at os layer via cli, for example, with the command

ip a

From that you can see also the mac address of the two interfaces, then with wireshark with your laptop you can try to connect to one of the interfaces of the VyOS system and check the capture to identify the mac of the box.
Or in a more simple way, if not yet tested, just try to invert the cable. So connect the laptop to the interface that before was attached to the ISP and then analyze if something different is happening.

Then in a normal situation it would start to work. If no other strange issue are in … like physical problem on the interfaces or something like that

1 Like

finally got running with this guide… I think the documentation wasn’t so good before… this is much better than the walkthrough I tried to follow

https://docs.vyos.io/en/latest/quick-start.html#quick-start

2 Likes

Perfect, great that you get it working and running :+1:

2 Likes