OSPF Plaintext Authentication Breaks Upgrading from 1.2.4 to latest 1.4 nightly

Hello all,

I recently upgraded a vyos router from 1.2.4 to the latest 1.4 nightly build from this morning 2022-03-19

Everything worked, including a site-to-site wireguard vpn. The only exception was OSPF. I have a main segment with all kinds of routers on it that keep each other updated via ospf (some Ubiquiti EdgeRouters, a couple vyos, Juniper, Cisco, etc) and I have all of these set to authenticate with a simple plaintext password in OSPF. As soon as the vyos upgrade happened, it stopped communicating via ospf to all the other routers.

So I went through some of the other routers and turned off plaintext auth, and my new nightly vyos immediately started sending and receiving routes - even though it had plaintext auth still active in the config. So it looks like it is just ignoring the plaintext auth settings and trying to communicate without it.

Did you also try an intermediate upgrade from 1.2.4 to 1.3.X first, and then to latest 1.4?

I did not, but I’m happy to do that. Just for other info, it did look like the direct upgrade from 1.2.4 to 1.4 handled the config migration without issue. I noticed that the interface-specific configuration for ospf moved from the “interfaces” part of the config over to the protocols/ospf section apparently without issue.

Ok, I just built the latest 1.3 via a docker container, and upgraded from 1.2.4 to this 1.3 I just built - and ospf plaintext auth is working fine. Next step to upgrade to latest 1.4. Let you know soon.

hmmmm… no same issue - upgrading from 1.2.4 to 1.3.x to 1.4 still causes ospf plaintext auth to stop working in 1.4

Hi all,

Any further news on this? I’ve done as asked.

So upgrade from 1.2.X to 1.3 works, but from 1.3.X to 1.4.X doesn’t work?
Can you provide exact versions used, and also configuration? If it’s a bug, we need more information to reproduce issue and see what’s happening