PPPoE for DHCPv6 PD

I try to create the most minimalistic configuration simply to understand every command. Now… for the moment what I try is to create a PPPoE connection to my ISP, get the DHCPv6-PD working and verify the range I got.

What I have so far… I have created the PPPoE connection. When I connect, I get the IPv4 address assigned to my PPPoE interface. That’s nice, but it’s only IPv4 and no IPv6.

Then I activated PD like this:

set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 ipv6 address autoconf
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 dhcpv6-options pd 0 length ‘48’

The result is now, that I cannot connect anymore and the log shows

local/remote LL address required for demand-dialling

… so. I guess LL is “Link Local” address. Does this mean, that IPv6 is not active on this interface? And that it’s not working because of that? Why does IPv4 not work anymore? And how can I solve this? And how can I verify if I got this PD-range? … (by the way… I don’t want to activate routing for the moment… I and I don’t want to distribute the addresses I got, if not required to make it working… all I want is to get the PD-range from my ISP and verify that I got it… step by step, until I have understood everything!) …

Any ideas what’s wrong here??

Hello @meiru,

please always tell us which version of VyOS you are using and show us your configuration for the interface in question.

I’m using such a configuration for my local ISP (Deutsche Telekom, FTTH) with VyOS 1.3.0-rc4

set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 authentication password 'bar'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 authentication user 'fooo#0001@t-online.de'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 default-route 'auto'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 description 'Telekom FTTH 100/50MBit'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 dhcpv6-options pd 0 interface eth0.10 address '1'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 dhcpv6-options pd 0 interface eth0.10 sla-id '10'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 dhcpv6-options pd 0 interface eth0.20 address '1'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 dhcpv6-options pd 0 interface eth0.20 sla-id '20'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 dhcpv6-options pd 0 length '56'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 ipv6 address autoconf
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 mtu '1492'
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 no-peer-dns
set interfaces pppoe pppoe0 source-interface 'eth3.7'
1 Like

hi
I’m using the latest rolling release (from 2 days ago)…
and… it’s strange, but it started working now… I left it alone and when I came back, about 3 hours later, it got the pd lease without problems… no idea why

but this brings me to the next question… can I somehow see those leases? I have to know what I got back to verify it (I’m using this for my webservers and they are all configured with static ips… that’s why I would like to have an option to see, if the assignment returned from my ISP what it should return… sure, I can also simply expect that it works and is correct, but… I don’t like that)