Pppoe server slow subscribers connect

I am facing an issue that subscribers are connecting very slowly on vyos pppoe server. While I have mikrotik in my setup on which they connect instantaneously. Its a very noticeable difference

30k sessions in several minutes I can’t say it slow.
If you have issues probably you need support.

yes this is not slow but 200 to 250 connections can somethimes take 30 minutes to connect

I’ve seen similar issues when trying to be too green and using a low power (but slow) machines (PC Engines APU), for some reason both creating and deleting lots of dynamic PPPoE interfaces seems quite CPU intensive, often maxed out just one core at 100% load. It got much better after moving to standard 1U servers (Supermicro X9 series, currently moving to X11 series - faster, less power-hungry, and finally HTML5 iKVM, no more Java!).

If it’s really 30k sessions then cheap PC hardware might not cut it anymore - might be better with VPP but the open source accel-ppp doesn’t support that (no idea what is in the paid VPP addon though).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.