QoS / traffic shaping : what does "minimum bandwidth" mean?

I found a sample configuration for VoIP. This one contains something like

traffic-shaper OFFICE {
class 10 {
bandwidth 45%
ceiling 100%
}
}

now… the “ceiling” means, that you will never ever get more bandwidth than this specified percentage … this is clear

the question is, if you specify the 45% bandwidth … what’s the meaning of that?
the description says “A minimum 45% of this bandwidth is to be set aside for the VoIP traffic” … so assume you have NO traffic of this type. Is the bandwidth then still reserved (set aside) and cannot be used or is it then free for other classes (that’s what I assume… but… would be nice to get a clear confirmation).

so, is this value the “guaranteed” bandwidth ? …

and, followup… do I have to set the "set traffic-policy shaper bandwidth " ??

Could I create a policy to provide at least 500 kbps to my VoIP traffic (e.g.) without setting any upper limits for the line (because I don’t know them) that still allows the full bandwidth to be used by other services when no VoIP traffic is around?

Rudolf

Bandwidth under a class is the “guaranteed” bandwidth the class will receive and ceiling is the maximum bandwidth the class can utilize provided there is bandwidth to spare. Classes can “borrow” from other classes up to ‘ceiling’ speed provided bandwidth is available.

1 Like

bandwith : maximun available for the class in OFFICE, set with bandwidth and ceiling, configured in the global configuration OFFICE

Often you will also have to configure your default traffic in the same way you do with a class. Default can be considered a class as it behaves like that. It contains any traffic that did not match any of the defined classes, so it is like an open class, a class without matching filters.

as you can see in official doc VyOS 1.4

Example

A simple example of Shaper using priorities.

Example

A simple example of Shaper using priorities.

set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB bandwidth ‘50mbit’ set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 10 bandwidth ‘20%’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 10 match DSCP ip dscp ‘EF’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 10 queue-type ‘fq-codel’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 20 bandwidth ‘10%’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 20 ceiling ‘50%’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 20 match PORT666 ip destination port ‘666’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 20 priority ‘3’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 20 queue-type ‘fair-queue’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 30 bandwidth ‘10%’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 30 ceiling ‘50%’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 30 match ADDRESS30 ip source address ‘192.168.30.0/24’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 30 priority ‘5’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB class 30 queue-type ‘fair-queue’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB default bandwidth ‘10%’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB default ceiling ‘100%’
set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB default priority ‘7’ set traffic-policy shaper MY-HTB default queue-type ‘fair-queue’

thanks… that’s what I wanted to know :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.