regreSSHion: Unauthed RCE Vulnerability in OpenSSH

I haven’t seen any discussion about this vulnerability here. This resurfaces in OpenSSH versions from 8.5p1 up to, but not including, 9.8p1.

This is what my rolling version of VyOS is running:

$ show version 
Version: VyOS 1.5-rolling-202406020021

$ ssh -V
OpenSSH_9.2p1...

I’ll bet many in this community are vulnerable.

Summary of the exploit:

This vulnerability, if exploited, could lead to full system compromise where an attacker can execute arbitrary code with the highest privileges, resulting in a complete system takeover, installation of malware, data manipulation, and the creation of backdoors for persistent access. It could facilitate network propagation, allowing attackers to use a compromised system as a foothold to traverse and exploit other vulnerable systems within the organization.

There was a blog post about it earlier.

2 Likes

Shoot, missed it!

For the rest of us who didn’t see it, here’s the link!

You trimmed the most important part. As of now, CVE-2024-6387 has been fixed in Debian bookworm. The fixed package version is 1:9.2p1-2+deb12u3. As VyOS is pulling this package from Debian during build, a freshly made rolling ISO already runs the fixed version. You might want to check the openssh-server package version of the latest rolling to verify, and if it’s still u2, it should be upgraded the next day.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.