[solved] Building docker image with vyos-build failing

I’m trying to use the vyos-build Dockerfile to build some virtualization images, but unfortunately I’m not even getting as far as successfully building the Docker image. The last relevant bits of the console output are:

debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
Fetched 995 MB in 6min 6s (2716 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 7624 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../perl-base_5.20.2-3+deb8u12_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking perl-base (5.20.2-3+deb8u12) over (5.20.2-3+deb8u11) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/perl-base_5.20.2-3+deb8u12_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of `./usr/bin/perl' before installing new version: Invalid cross-device link
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
dpkg: error: error creating new backup file '/var/lib/dpkg/status-old': Invalid cross-device link
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
The command '/bin/sh -c echo 'deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main' | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list &&    apt-get update &&    apt-get install -y       vim       git       make       live-build       pbuilder       devscripts       python3-pystache       squashfs-tools       autoconf       dpkg-dev       syslinux       genisoimage       lsb-release       fakechroot       kernel-package       libtool       libglib2.0-dev       libboost-filesystem-dev       libapt-pkg-dev       flex       bison       libperl-dev       libnfnetlink-dev       python3-git       parted       kpartx       jq       qemu-system-x86       qemu-utils       quilt       python3-lxml       python3-setuptools       python3-nose       python3-coverage' returned a non-zero code: 100

I’m using vyos-build git revision 8c94c80. I will give this a go using a full Debian VM, but having the Docker work would be much more convenient.

Actually the Docker image should work.

There is currently a progress in evaluating a Docker build Pipeline (see GitHub - c-po/vyos-build: Top level build scripts for VyOS > 1.2.0) with a slightly updated Dockerfile and a Jenkinsfile.

Can you retry on a different host?

Hmm, that repo failed in the same fashion, using an up to date Arch Linux host.

However, I spun up a fresh Debian Stretch VM w/ Docker CE in the cloud and had no trouble building the docker image using the vyos/vyos-build repo. My various images are now building in that container.

Let’s chalk this up to some weirdness on my Arch host - thanks for the super quick response!

Looks like an upstream or Arch specific issue, someone have a similar issue with Ubuntu inside docker: Unable to upgrade ubuntu - General Discussions - Docker Community Forums

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.