System Time is Incorrect

I’m not sure if this is a bug or if I’m just missing something obvious. I’m using a 1.4-rolling-202210150526 AMD64 image. The system time off. Or rather, the hours/minutes are correct, but the time zone is wrong.

If I correct the time zone, then the hours/minutes shift accordingly and are now off. I don’t see anywhere to force a time sync with NTP servers.

I checked the BIOS time and the hours/minutes match local time, though I don’t see any time zone listed. I even tried adding the ntp.pool.org servers.

Am I missing something here? My WAN zone is set to default accept from from LOCAL and LAN. I don’t think my firewall is blocking it (everything else is working).

Here are the corresponding config parts:

[edit]
vyos@vyos# show system time-zone
 time-zone UTC

[edit]
vyos@vyos# show system ntp
 server 0.pool.ntp.org {
 }
 server 1.pool.ntp.org {
 }
 server 2.pool.ntp.org {
 }
 server 3.pool.ntp.org {
 }
 server time1.vyos.net {
 }
 server time2.vyos.net {
 }
 server time3.vyos.net {
 }

[edit]
vyos@vyos# date
Sun 16 Oct 2022 05:34:39 PM UTC

The actual UTC time when I ran this command was 9:34 PM. The local time America/New_York time was 5:34 PM.

What does show ntp tell you (from exec mode, not config mode)

It sounds like your box isn’t syncing to the NTP servers.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. It says:

exit
vyos@vyos:~$ show ntp
No association ID's returned

So your NTP isn’t working.
Do you have working NTP (EDIT: I meant DNS here but keeping the typo so the reply makes sense) so the NTP servers can be resolved?

I think you meant “working DNS”. Because if you did, you solved the problem! I forgot to set system name-server. Even though a DNS server is running on the router and working for all my clients it wasn’t able to resolve the NTP servers for itself.

Thanks you so much!

1 Like

Sorry I was typing that so fast to get to a meeting, yes I meant working DNS and I’m glad you sorted it out, that’s what I was thinking was the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

As this an NTP pool, please also set the pool option. Example:

set system ntp server 0.de.pool.ntp.org pool
set system ntp server 1.de.pool.ntp.org pool
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.