TO-External firewall applied to external interface?

Hello!
On one of my VyOs I have a simple setup with NAT, some blocked outgoing traffic and 2 interfaces: eth0 external, eth1 internal.
Today I just noticed that I apply my “TO-EXTERNAL” firewall rules to eth0 (the external or “RED” interface).
I don’t remember if this was the only way I could achieve this, but now I’m thinking I am allowing for undesired traffic to jump from internal to external interface just before blocking it.
Should I apply this “To-External” firewall rule on the internal interface instead?
Thanks and regards.

If you want to filter traffic from your LAN (behind eth1) to internet, it would be better to apply firewall rules on your LAN eth1 interface.

1 Like

Hello. So today I came across this situation. I had to block an external website from a lab which had full external web access so far. This time I’ve created a simple “TO-External” firewall set of out rules directly on my eth1 internal interface. No success.
As soon as I set this firewall to eth0 (public IP interface), the website is blocked and all others work as intended.
What am I missing here? I guess I’ve tried this setup in the early days and found that I could only make this work when applying “firewall out” to external interfaces and kept doing this until now.
thanks!

Interface:

ethernet eth0 {
address my.public.address
duplex auto
firewall {
local {
name TO-ROUTER
}
out {
name TO-EXTERNAL
}
}

Firewall:
name TO-EXTERNAL {
default-action accept
description “…”
rule 10 {
action drop
description “blocks phishing site”
destination {
address phishing.ip.address
}
}
}
This setup works. Applying this firewall to Eth1 (internal network) doesn’t. I’m guessing it should also be type “out”, right?

OK, so I guess I understand now. Being the eth1 the internal interface, I had to set the firewall as “in”, as the packets are getting into it. Anyway, I don’t think that the performance would be much affected from the previous setup, eth0 external interfacem firewall out.
Thanks

Can’t mark it as solved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.