Unable to create VM with ova file in ESXi

Hey everyone,

I am trying to import the vyos-1.3.0-rc4-vmware.ova into a new virtual machine on VMware ESXi. When I try to do so I am met with a Line 149: Unsupported element ‘Reservation’. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

I have tried older ova files and the same issue occurs. I have also tried to import the ova into virtualbox and export it again as a ovf file version 1 and 2, but that did not work as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Are you installing the vm while login directly in esxi? Can you try it from vcenter? As far as I remember, installing VyOS ova using vcenter, did work correctly.

I’m using VMware Fusion to run ESXi and then installing the ova directly on ESXi. I tried installing the ova file into fusion and was still met with:
Line 149: Unsupported element ‘Reservation’,
Line 158: Unsupported element ‘Reservation’,
Line 167: Unsupported element ‘Reservation’

Was trying to setup a virtual lab environment and the instructions showed them installing it directly onto EXSi. Any suggestions?

Try the OVFTOOL
https://developer.vmware.com/web/tool/4.4.0/ovf

When a developer exports a VM as an OVF often there are extra fields input for use. Normal usage of OVA/OVF file is deploy into a vCenter. You are importing into a type2 hypervisor (Fusion) it can work but might fail due to extra fields.

Import the OVA file into the OVFtool. There might be extra fields that Fusion does not now how to parse.
Good Luck!

I know this is an old post, but I created an account to share my fix since OP and @digital_kungfu 's info put me on the right path

Some things to note: esxi doesn’t like those reservation values, it won’t let you create a new vm w this ova while those elements are present

First what you’ll need to do is use the ovftool to convert the ova to an ovf

Once that’s done you can open the ovf in a text editor. Go to those line item elements and just delete them. Save your file

Using the ovftool at this point will result with errors since the edits you made invalidates the file integrity of this ovf,

You’ll need to recalculate the new sha256 value. I used powershell Get-FileHash against the edited ovf. Copy this value

Next you’ll need to open the .mf file that was also part of the first ovftool conversion. Replace the ovf hash with what you just calculated. Save the .mf file

Finally you’ll use the ovftool to convert the edited ovf back to an ova. It should complete successfully.

Now you can create a vm in esxi using the new ova without any issues.

Cheers

1 Like