Updating igb driver, related issues/bugs

I don’t know how far I would go to call these bugs but it seems like a general issue when trying to get newer ethernet devices working with VyOS.

You can consult my thread here: http://forum.vyos.net/showthread.php?tid=6501

Issues:

1. When installing igb driver into the kernel, it is not persistent across reboots as expected in standard linux distributions. The old driver returns on reboots causing me to have to run the module install over every reboot. The igb and all of the e1000 drivers included in VyOS are quite old and don’t support newer igb devices.

2. udev rules are not being created (don’t know if this is specific to my system or VyOS as a whole, note that I upgraded from VC6.5R1, not a fresh install)

3. VyOS configure mode doesn’t allow ethernet devices with a hyphen. When I installed the driver, it named my device eth5-eth4 for some reason. When trying to use this name it resulted in an error:

interface ethernet eth5-eth4: not a valid name

It took me a while to figure out how to create the udev file and command to update this name just so I could use it with VyOS.

Thanks for your time and development! Let me know if you need anything from me. I’d be glad to write on the wiki / forum howto once I figure out how to get the drivers to be persistent as having the updated drivers would make VyOS much more attractive for users.