Upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5

I am running a very old 1.4 nightly release (vyos-1.4-rolling-202111240711-amd64) and would like to upgrade to the 1.5 nightly release stream.

Can I use the process describe here? https://docs.vyos.io/en/latest/installation/update.html

Or do I need to deploy and configure a fresh 1.5 build?

Thanks
M

You can probably just add the new image and reboot. The firewall has been completely overhauled so your rules will be migrated to the new format but may not in a way that you prefer. I personally copied my firewall config to a text document and then just deleted the firewall config in VyOS before upgrading and then just manually recreated my rules. That was mostly because I had a zone setup and the reintroduction of that wasn’t complete at the time plus there was a migration script bug then where state policy didn’t properly carry over. Majority of that stuff has been fixed at this point so just try it and see, revert back if stuff isn’t right.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’ll give it a go.

M

Did you say state policy bug? I just tripped over that myself. (See my other post in this forum.) Any idea where in the migration script git history I should look for the details?

That was in regards to the global state config options which I relied upon, I did notice state in general gone if I recall correctly but I updated back in November on one of the earliest 1.5 builds.