Upgrade vyatta router from VSE6.3 to VyOS.1.1.8

Hello,
I would like to ask about upgrading the vyatta router. Currently I have VSE6.3-2011.08.3, which is very old. Thus, I want add image but i have two images in download section: vyos-1.1.8-i586.iso or vyos-1.1.8-amd64.iso. Which one should I choose. Here is my show hardware cpu.

Architecture: i686
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
CPU(s): 4
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 4
CPU socket(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 26
Stepping: 5
CPU MHz: 2127.977
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 4096K

https://downloads.vyos.io/?dir=release/legacy/1.1.8

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,
Rafal

AMD64, but you should be warned that there are a LOT of differences between VSE 6.3 and VyOS 1.1.8

This may not end well. VyOS is a fork from Vyatta 6.6(if I recall correctly), and there are many differences between 6.3 and 6.6. NAT commands being the biggest change I can remember.

Thank youvery much for your answer.
If update will not be successfull, can I go back and run previous image with VSE6.3? I have multiple nat entries :frowning:

The reason why i want to upgrade is L2TP VPN problem. Everything is working ok, but if internet connection will be cut off (even for several seconds) the client cannot reconnect to the VPN again for an 1 hour. The problem occurs on windows clients only and if i change internet provider i can connect again.
I have found that solution to this problem will be upgrade to at least 1.1.2.

You could sin up a VM, install VyOs (it’s a matter of minutes) then copy the configuration commands from your production setup to the test VyOs and check which command have issues and what are the current commands to achieve the same result.

In theory you should be able to go back to the old image, but in this case from VSE 6.3 to VyOs 1.1.8 there’s no way to guarantee it will work as expected, so I would really prepare the config in a lab first.

1 Like

VSE6.3 and VyOS are actually different projects. I don’t remember if Vyatta 6.3 had system images like we use today. Vyatta is not VyOS and VyOS is not Vyatta. :wink:

While Daniel and team have done their best to making the switch seamless, there is no guarantee that what you want to try will work. @Jeff has the right idea to test in a VM.

Thank you very much for your help. I will do as you said.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.