Upgraded from 1.18 to 1.4 rolling - Errors

Hey all

I followed the instructions here Update VyOS — VyOS 1.3.x (equuleus) documentation and upgraded, and it seems to have done a fresh install.

I’ve lost all the config, the users, custom SSH port config, NAT destination etc. I tried rebooting and managed to get into the old 1.1.8 image (which worked fine), so I grabbed a copy of the config.boot file.

Rebooted into 1.4, setup the config again and triple-checked I Saved it. Then rebooted, and I’m back to a new install with no config?

Am I missing something here?

P.S. I’ve also tried running copy file 1.1.8://config/config boot to /tmp/config.boot.1.1.8 as per the docs and that fails too - “Image 1.1.8 not found!”

Thanks in advance for the help

I would check the logs for errors, but i would bet the problem is jumping too many versions at once. A lot has changed between 1.1 and 1.4. I would recommend going to 1.2 and then 1.3 then to 1.4 as the config migrations will likely be expecting syntax from the previous version but my best recommendation would be to review your config and create a fresh one in 1.4, it will probably be much simpler to do that.

Thanks, what specific logs should I be checking?

do following on your old vyos

show configuration commands

you get your configuration file as command back.

these commands fill in to the new vyos 1.4 step by step

then you can see which commands has to fix to the new syntax.

After doing the above, it would be helpful if you can come back to us with the config lines that fail to load.

Ideally, you should be able to jump from any version to 1.4 without issue, migration scripts exist to handle the CLI changes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.