Use 127.0.0.1 as nameserver

I’ve just started learning VyOS. I followed the quick start guide so far. I noticed that after the initial guide, I had setup a dns forwarder, but had not configured local name resolution. dig always failed. I found the command to set it (set system name-server ). I set it to 8.8.8.8 and voila, I had resolution.

Issue is, when I eventually go live, I want the local machine’s dns lookups to go through the local forwarder, because I will log all of the lookups in a central logger. So I removed that nameserver and added 127.0.0.1. Well, resolution fails.

Only firewall rules I created are in the quick start guide (Quick Start — VyOS 1.4.x (sagitta) documentation), which I didn’t think would block loopback requests.

What am I doing wrong?

Can you share you dns forwarder config?

show configuration commands | match 'dns forwarding'

Does dns service listen on lo interface?

Just even looking at the config and it clicked. Firewall was good, it was the allow from. I allowed from 10.0.0.0/16, but was coming from 127.0.0.1. Added the allow-from, and all good. Thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.