I have two completely separate ESXi clusters, one runs vSphere/ESXi 7, and the other cluster runs vSphere/ESXi 8.
I have one instance of VyOS installed on each cluster.
On both clusters, the VyOS machine keeps getting vmotion’ed between ESXi hosts on the same cluster.
Now, why do I write this on a VyOS forum?
- Its only the VyOS VM that gets migrated.
- All hosts in esxi cluster has plenty of free cpu, ram and disk.
- VyOS vm has 2 CPU, 4GB RAM, 8GB disk
- VyOS vm barely uses any resources (50Mhz CPU/440MB ram)
- VyOS vm does not forward any traffic (a few Kbps), but just participate in a very small ospf topology.
- Tested with new installs vyos 1.3.3, vyos 1.4 (selfbuilt oct 17).
- No other VM’s with the same settings do get migrated.
- This happens on both my clusters, which do not share settings.
- First DRS somehow decides to hot migrate VM
- Then vSphere logs says
VM machine mem/cpu usage changed from Gray to Green(see screenshot)
Only the VyOS get migrated between 5-20 times every day.
While I’m no vmware expert, is there something in vmware tools which could trigger this?
$ dpkg -l | grep VMware ii open-vm-tools 2:12.2.0-1+deb12u1 amd64 Open VMware Tools for virtual machines hosted on VMware (CLI) ii vyos-1x-vmware 1.4dev1-33-gc5627b326 amd64 VyOS configuration scripts and data for VMware $ free -m total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 1989 440 1188 1 511 1548 Swap: 0 0 0 $ show version Version: VyOS 1.4-rolling-202310171102 Release train: sagitta Built by: olofl Built on: Tue 17 Oct 2023 11:02 UTC Build UUID: a7600e85-15d8-45c7-a44a-17162ffadcd6 Build commit ID: a03b5dbd3e3699