VMware template customization

Hi there!

This applies to vyos 1.2.0 as well as to vyos 1.1.8. What I try to do is to create a customizeable VMware template on a VMware vSphere 6.5 environment.

open-vm-tools are present in Version 10.0.5.52125 (build-3227872) on vyos 1.2.0. For VyOS 1.1.8 open-vm-tools are installed in version 9.4.0.25793 (build-1280544) accompanied by open-vm-tools-deploypkg 9.4.15-1 and by libmspack0 0.0.20040308.

Customizing the template during the provisioning process is not possible. VMware states, that customization of that guest OS is not supported in this configuration. Guest OS of Microsoft Vista ™ and Linux with LVM are only supported by newer versions of VMware tools, the vSphere web client says.

The guest OS is identified as "Debian GNU/Linux 8 (64-bit), which is fine.

Did anyone successfully create a customizeable VMware template for VyOS or does anyone know a trick to get this to work?

Many thanks in advance!

Hello
It will not work in way that it work with centos or other distribution.
Why you want to have customization, what is your use case?

Hi @syncer!
I have the following usecase:
I would like to use Ansible to spawn a new virtual machine from template, set management IP (this is the point, where template customization kicks in) and start up the VM. Afterwards, Ansible connects to the newly spawned machine doing the neccessary configuration (e.g. ntp servers, dns, hostname, configuration of production IFs, Routing, etc.) so that in the end the router is ready for production use.
We thought about things like DHCP for managament network, as well, but there is the drawback that Ansible does not know about the IP the host gets or it would be laborious to get things from DHCP to inject back into ansible and so forth.
Alternative would be some kind of ZTP or preconfiguration via DHCP.
Thanks for your fast reply!

i think if you provision vm with ansible you later can get it’s ip (if dhcp is there and vmtools is running)
you got some particular issues?

Hi @syncer!

Thanks, again for your support. I think this would be indeed the best solution, to get the IP address back from the running machine using ansible connecting to the VM object. The only drawback is, that we have to set up DHCP in the management network for the routers.