VRRP and "bridge mode"

Hi,

I am trying to implement a VRRP solution using two physical devices running VyOS 1.2.1 to test the high availability. Both devices have interfaces bridged (port1 and port2). The VyOS devices are not working in “route mode”, but in “bridge mode”, just analyzing traffic that goes through. I have the following questions:

1. Is the network architecture that we are trying the best option or there is better design? Please check attachment.

2.When the “Hub” sends packets to both devices that are part of a VRRP group (nodes):
a) Will VRRP group take control at a logical level and re-route all these packets to the current “master device” all time? Please take into consideration that each device has at least one interface bridge.
b) Even with VRRP working fine at a logical level (switching Master/Slaves when needed), traffic will go through a “slave node” anyway due to the interface bridge on port 1 and port 2?

Thank you in advance

Is it difficult to understand what needs to be achieved in the end result?

Everything is a bit confusing.
Vrrp group work with ip addresses. More details High availability — VyOS 1.5.x (circinus) documentation
Can you share your config? It will be easier to understand.

Hi Viacheslav,

Thank you for answering and I apologize if I failed to explain my idea with clarity. I am new to VyOS and I am trying a lot of things at once. I’ll try to explain as much as I can. You can check my config here:

https://pastebin.com/BWdZxsWz .

Please, let me know if you need more details.

Thanks

Is there any other details I can offer so you can help me better?

Basically I have two VyOS devices behind an existing gateway/firewall in flow with traffic and I am trying to setup a VRRP connection to have high availability. Both VyOS devices are in bridge mode.

Does VRRP works with devices in bridge mode?

Hi ManuelF1,

It does not. The Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol provides router redundancy, not bridge redundancy, which is what you are looking for, if I understand correctly.

I think VyOS currently does not provide anything similar, at least for now.

https://portal.productboard.com/vyos/1-vyos-roadmap/c/20-mc-lag