Vyos + apu2 not hitting 1gb/s

Great, done that.

Saw already that the igb-options.conf fix is already in the latest rolling version!

So pleased I can squeeze 1gb/s from the APU2, meaning I don’t have to reinstate my Edgerouter…

Thanks for the awesome support.

@Dmitry

Just applied a new rolling release. Back down to 550-600 mb/s.

Seems similar to my original setup even though all changes are in place on my router. Sadly I deleted the previous image already so cannot roll back…

config.txt (4.3 KB) grub.cfg.txt (2.7 KB)
igb-options.conf.txt (32 Bytes)

Hello @phillipmcmahon,

Show me please an output cat /proc/cmdline and screenshot cat /proc/interrupts

Just performed another set of speed tests and the results are very inconsistent. Occasionally getting up to 900mb/s.

Output attached.

interrupts.txt (3.7 KB) cmdline.txt (194 Bytes)

I don’t see disabled mitigation on your booted cmdline

yet it is in my grub.cfg file…

As per the instructions on this thread

grub.cfg.txt (2.7 KB)

Try to update initramfs

sudo /usr/sbin/update-initramfs -u

And check after reboot /proc/cmdline again

yep, had done that a few times.

just did one more time, rebooted.

output of /proc/cmdline is still missing the entry

cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/1.3-rolling-202010200146/vmlinuz boot=live quiet rootdelay=5 noautologin net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 vyos-union=/boot/1.3-rolling-202010200146 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200

Try to put this like an example, after boot=live:

menuentry "VyOS 1.3-rolling-202010200146 (KVM console)" {
        linux /boot/1.3-rolling-202010200146/vmlinuz boot=live mitigations=off quiet rootdelay=5 noautologin net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 vyos-union=/boot/1.3-rolling-202010200146 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
        initrd /boot/1.3-rolling-202010200146/initrd.img
1 Like

yep, just did it like that and this time it is being picked up.

back in business! thanks a lot.

p.s. why previously did that work and now not?

I don’t have an answer, maybe something was different. I prefer always recheck cmdline after reboot or update.

thanks! appreciate the help. I should know what to look for in future.

@Dmitry There’s so much great info in this thread - hopefully it can be added to the Vyos wiki so that future users don’t have to search the forum to find it?
I certainly learnt a bit, I wasn’t aware about the ntuple feature.

Humm. It’s weird that you have to do all these configuration to get the 1gb full speed.

I use a lot of Mini PC Quad Core J1900 2GB RAM with 4 LAN Ports and I have no problem to get full gigabit speed with PPPoE.

Be sure that your LAN ports are Intel ones. With Realtek NIC I got problems and I was not able to get full gigabit speed with it.

The PC Engine APU2 is an SBC with an AMD SoC running at a max of 1 Ghz - 12 watts. They run Intel NICs but it wasn’t a great surprise the thing needed some tuning to get full 1gb/s speed out of it.

https://www.amd.com/en/system/files?file=2017-06/g-series-soc-product-brief.pdf

Super nice boards;

Oh Ok that’s why! :wink:
I don’t know how much is an APU2 but a Mini PC is about 200 USD

It’s about the same :rofl:

I am looking at getting a Protectli box, but believe this is “just” a rebadged qotom machine.

Feel free to ping me if you have any recommendations for a good low power, silent box. Ideally I would want something that can take a 10gb/s sfp module as that is what comes into my apartment…

I also got an APU2 board, not sure if you got following settings allready (do this for all NICs) and reach somewhere around 920Mb/s.

ethtool -G ethX tx 4096 rx 4096
ethtool -K ethX tx on sg on tso on gso on gro on lro off

1. line set ringbufers to max.
  2. line turn on offloading

I put the commands in /config/scripts/vyos-postconfig-bootup.script which is run at boot.
And don’t have mitigation=off set.

2 Likes

thanks a lot @dannyw

will give those a go first thing.

Enabled mitigations again and implemented the changes @dannyw shared. getting over 900mb/s.

I will stick with that configuration.

@Dmitry, I can update the wiki with such information if you think this would be generally useful.