VyOS Subnet Issues

Hi there,

I’m trying out VyOS for the first time but I’m having a bit of trouble tying everything together in order to be able to mimic a network for training purposes.

Here is my setup:

I have 3 interfaces on VyOS , 1 for each subnet:

eth0 --> dhcp (out to main LAN/internet)
eth1 --> 192.168.217.1/24
eth2 --> 192.168.247.1/24

These parts work:

VyOS can ping each interface for eth1 & eth2, but it cannot ping eth0 (192.168.0.1)
VyOS cannot ping the hosts in each subnet, nor the default gateway/internet addresses.

The hosts cannot ping any internet address, nor can they ping the interface or any host of the other subnet. It can only ping it’s own subnet’s interface.

I have added a static route and a NAT source rule but I’m still not having any luck (I’ve attached a screenshot showing this).

What do I need to do to make this work? I have been looking at numerous tutorials & other posts but it’s still not working for me which is very frustrating! I have a suspicion that I’m not setting up my routing protocol correctly, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

do you have eth0 set to receive a DHCP address? what address does it get? you don’t need a static interface-route, and you probably don’t need a static route 0.0.0.0/0 because you would assume the DHCP server on 192.168.0.0/24 would hand out a default route with the address lease it gives you…

Hi,

Thanks a lot for replying. Eth0 is 192.168.0.24/24 - I have also removed both the static route and static interface-route but I’m still having the same issues. I can now ping my ‘real’ default gateway successfully however. When I ping Google from VyOS, it resolves to the IP address but I get the ‘Destination Host Unreachable’ message. Do I need to do something on my physical router to allow the traffic through?

what is the output of
ip route

Hi,

The output is attached. Looks like no packets are getting through eth0. Thanks again!

Ok, a little update - I can now ping web addresses from VyOS, but I still cannot connect to the internet from hosts within the subnets, nor can I ping the hosts from VyOS, or even ping other hosts in other subnets. I have enabled pinging in the firewall on the clients.
I’m genuinely stuck and I don’t know what to try next; I thought this was supposed to be relatively straightforward!
The latest change I have made is attached.

Here is my new IP route screenshot…

You are missing a default route, which means any traffic bound for non directly attached subnets will have no way of routing. I think it’s strange that the DHCP server does not hand out a default route with the address lease. You can try setting the default route under set system gateway address

Hi jl3128,

Thanks for the suggestion mate. Unfortunately it hasn’t made a difference, still no connection to the internet from the VM clients. I don’t really know where to go from here to be honest.
I’ve attached a screenshot of the settings I have for one of the internal clients; I think I have set it up correctly. Do you think VMWare Workstation could be the problem? I was tempted to use Hyper-V instead as it seems people have more success with that.