Wireguard hitting 1 core more than the others

Hi everyone,

I’ve started using Wireguard configured on VyOS and I’m trying to tune it and see how far I can push it with my current box.

Its a cheap 4 core Intel Celeron N3150 CPU, however I’m been pretty happy with it, easily doing well over 1Gbit with a few firewall rules, nat, etc.

Also, for reference, on the WAN interface, I have gro, gso, lro, sg, tso offloads enabled.
The Interface is an Intel X520.

Regarding Wireguard, it’s working well and I don’t have many complains.
VyOS internet connection where Wg is configured is a 1000Mbit down, 400 Mbit up.
The setup is simple, the client is a phone, which can do 400Mbits down and up with speedtest.net connected directly to the internet.

When I connect Wireguard, with route all (0.0.0.0/0), the speedtest drops to around 95Mbits download and 110Mbits upload.

I’ve tested setting the wg01 interface MTU to 1400 and setting the firewall option “adjust-mss” on the same interface too, to 1400 as well, no change.

With htop, I was able to see that it’s hitting a single core a lot harder than the others.
I have 1 core maxed out, while the other 3 cores are at around 55% usage.

I’ve checked further with normal top, as htop was not showing all processes for some reason.
During download phase of the speedtest on the phone, I see that the majority of CPU usage is taken by kworkers of “wg-crypt-wg01”

While on the upload phase of the speedtest on the phone, the limit factor seems to be interrupts, as the main process is ksoftirqd/0.

I’m looking for any ideas or guidance on how I could optimize this a bit and have a better spread of CPU usage, specially regarding the upload phase with interrupts.

Thanks

UPDATE 1:
I seems that the high interrupts on a single core is not just an issue with Wireguard.
Doing a speedtest from my workstation (that is beind the VyOS router), during the Download phase, I get a single core maxed out by interrupts and the other 3 at around 20%.
During the Upload phase, barely any CPU usage.

When I was using vyos 1.3 I had a script I used that helped spread the load over more than one CPU.

Try the following (adjust the ethernet names as necessary) and see if it helps at all?

# Manually Enable RPS to get the benefit of both CPU cores
echo 32768 > /proc/sys/net/core/rps_sock_flow_entries
echo 16384 > /sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-0/rps_flow_cnt
echo 16384 > /sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-1/rps_flow_cnt
echo 16384 > /sys/class/net/eth1/queues/rx-0/rps_flow_cnt
echo 16384 > /sys/class/net/eth1/queues/rx-1/rps_flow_cnt
echo "1" > /sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus
echo "2" > /sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-1/rps_cpus
echo "1" > /sys/class/net/eth1/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus
echo "2" > /sys/class/net/eth1/queues/rx-1/rps_cpus

Once I realised it helped me get better performance, I copied those entries into

/config/scripts/vyos-postconfig-bootup.script

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you for the info.

Couple of questions:

1. What do the numbers on the left represent? the 32768, 16384, etc?
  2. Has this been improved on 1.4? I will be switching hardware very soon and will take he opportunity to migrate to 1.4.
1 Like

Receive Flow Steering

In my testing it seems that 1.4 handles this better, yes. I don’t know if it’s the newer kernel, or if RFS is enabled, or if something else is going on, but I don’t need my script anymore and I don’t see ksoftirqd getting hammered like I did in 1.3 before I put in that little script.

Ok, thanks.
Good to know.

I will put this on standby and test it with the new system running 1.4.
The NIC will be the same, but I will be transitioning to an Intel i5 7500 CPU.