Wireless Router with VyOS and external AccessPoint (Updatet)

Dear Forum,

i am from germany and i want to build a wireless router with an old Fujitsu Thin Client. However, I don´t know what chipset stable supports three SSIDs. The chipset should support 802.11b/g/n. Maybe someone has already something in operation.

Now i have found the TP-Link-TL-WN881ND-300Mbit wireless card. Does Vyos support that card out of the box for the station mode with three SSIDs?

Thanks in advance

NicholasRush

Hi Nicholas,

what do you mean by 3 SSIDs? Do you mean to serve as an AP to 3 different WLAN networks?

Kind regards,
Bernard

Hi Bernard,

yes that´s true, this is absolutely what i want to do. But i am not sure about the driver support of the wireless hardware, because i don´t want to compile the right kernel module every time when a new VyOS Version is released. The problem is that i build the router for a friend witch has a barbershop. But unfortunately he did not so much money on something over and with computers he knows also not great, because I wanted him to assemble a therefore all in one solution.

Regards,
NicholasRush

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New solution, same hardware and new text:

I have now changed the concept of the hardware router. The onboard network card is a "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111 / 8168/8411 PCI Express
Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10EC: 8168] (rev 02) “, instead of a wireless network card should now be a” TP-Link TG-3468 "be installed.
On one of the two network cards then I create a VLAN for each SSID. And then there comes an Access Point with multiple SSID and VLAN Support.

The driver for the RTL8168 chipset is used by Vyos? The Free or Realtek? Will this work, as I have thought so?
Because I can not be more than 100 € spend on everything, the thin client “Fujitsu Siemens FUTRO S550-2 Thin Client TCS-D2963” I already have.

Sorry for my bad English.

Regards,
NicholasRush