/config missing?

Hi,

While setting up openvpn I run into messages that it can’t find /config/auth/openvpn/…

I’ve been searching the docs and forum but couldn’t find anything on the filesystem lay-out.

Should the config directory be mounted/linked as /config in root-filesystem?

If it is suppsed to be in the root (/) something went wrong during install because it’s missing on my system.
Is it possible and how to add /config to the installation?

I do have a config directory in /opt/vyatta/etc/ where the auth directory exists.
I placed the certificate files in that directory but apparently that isn’t /config.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ton

Hi @netbase, can you provide the output of the installation procedure?
Try to check show version, maybe you have booted VyOS from ISO?

Hi @Dmitry,

I installed the system as described in the docs. It boots from the internal disk.
Version info:

Version: VyOS 1.3-rolling-202007310608
Release Train: equuleus

Built by: autobuild@vyos.net
Built on: Fri 31 Jul 2020 06:08 UTC
Build UUID: ee576bee-af0a-48bf-b55b-44fc2e1836d2
Build Commit ID: 09eedb0dccf687

Architecture: x86_64
Boot via: installed image
System type: bare metal

Hardware vendor: Supermicro
Hardware model: Super Server
Hardware S/N: Unknown
Hardware UUID: Unknown

Copyright: VyOS maintainers and contributors

$ show system image
The system currently has the following image(s) installed:

1: 1.3-rolling-202007310608 (default boot) (running image)
2: 1.3-rolling-202005100117

The May rolling release is the one I used for the install.

I was able to set the openvpn configs by using (one example line only):

ca-cert-file /opt/vyatta/etc/config/auth/openvpn/ca.crt

But I cannot reference /config as described in the manual.

Thanks for your insight.

Regards,
Ton

Anyone have some insight into this issue? We’re trying to install 1.2.8 LTS on bare metal Supermicro boxes, and have had similar issues where the /config directory (soft link?) going missing after the install and first reboot. We initially thought it was a RAID issue, so skipped that, but it’s happening again.

I’ve had this exact problem myself with VyOS and Supermicro motherboards. Very odd, but it’s some kind of UEFI issue. If I installed via Live system using UEFI, my /config directory would be missing with no explanation. I’ve had to boot and install VyOS as MBR to work around this problem when using Supermicro hardware.

Interestingly I’ve not been able to replicate it on any other platform (virtual or otherwise) by installing as UEFI. I’ve only had this issue with Supermicro.

Can you gentlemen both confirm that you’re installing as UEFI, and then try MBR to see if it fixes the issue, as it did for me?

Edit: T1153 in phabricator seems possibly related, but was mysteriously marked as resolved on 8/6/21 with no notes on resolution. I’m not sure if that means it’s fixed in 1.3 codebase or what.

I can confirm that I installed using UEFI boot.
The systems are in use and I cannot test re-installing over BIOS boot.

For me the only issue was setting up openvpn using the documentation.
On my system the config was and is available on:
/opt/vyatta/config

I made sure that all scripts and config use this location instead of /config.
I also upgraded to newer release(s) (but not a recent one which might have a fix) and this location persisted with the upgrade.

Hello all, I also saw a similar issue with one of the supermicro devices and HDD 1 TB. But when I set partition around 60GB in the VyOS installation process, all work properly.
@netbase , @eronlloyd , @Klipz which HDDs were used?

@Dmitry my systems are fitted with 240GB Intel SSD’s

Glad to hear we’re not the only ones. @Dmitry we’re replacing all of our Netgate pfSense installations with VyOS LTS on the XG 1541 with RAID-capable 256 GB 2.5" SATA SSDs. @Klipz we’re also using UEFI.

We’ve had one in production for about 3 months with none of these issues, so we decided to continue migrating and started running into problems like this on the next two. The /config path would disappear, and I noticed RAID seemed to be acting up, and what I believe to be are errors on our Chelsio SFP+ cards that we installed after market. Here are a few troubleshooting pics I took during the installs (sorry for the quality).

I disabled RAID, thinking that was the culprit, but then it happened again on a config change then reboot. I’m going to test further today, as we now have multiple core routers running VyOS with Netgate hardware after ditching both pfSense and EdgeMAX. All my home lab and company benchtesting of VyOS has been rock solid, so I’m convinced this is a possible hardware/driver problem.

@Dmitry My last attempts at VyOS, Supermicro and UEFI were done on a system with 1 TB SSD.

Over the last day I’ve performed a number of tests on fresh installs on one of our spare Supermicro 5018D-FN4T appliances with Chelsio T-540 CR SFP+ cards, 32 GB RAM, and two Intel SSD SC2BB (150GB/ea.). The machine was configured to use legacy boot (to eliminate UEFI issues) and one drive (to eliminate RAID issues).

I tested using VyOS 1.2.8 LTS, 1.3-rc6, and 1.4-rolling images. For each install, I performed the following process:

1. Perform the basic installation procedure, using sda for my drive each time with a partition size of 60GB as @Dmitry suggested above.
  2. Confirm the /config directory was missing on install
  3. Make minor changes to the configuration, commit, and save. Confirm the config was reportedly saved to /config/config.boot, but the file was never written to that path.
  4. Rebooted and confirmed the active config was the same.

Each time the results were the same. I even tried creating the /config directory, but nothing saved to it. Based on @netbase’s reports, I also confirmed that the config is in fact being written to /opt/vyatta/etc/config.boot, so I assume that’s what’s being used each time it boots.

I do think this issue is related to T1153, and may not just be a RAID issue, since I disabled that and tried 1.4-rolling with the same results. I’ll have to look into that deeper next.

@eronlloyd I realize this may sound strange, but humor me. Can you check and see if your disks are still set for GPT partitioning, even after trying to reinstall when not booting the Live image under UEFI?

If that is true, can you then try blanking your disks and manually setting them to MBR partitioning scheme with a separate utility, say GNU parted, and then try reinstalling when booting from MBR again?

If memory serves me correctly I absolutely had to do something like this once I hit the initial error condition under UEFI (/config missing).

Thanks!