Hardware recommendations for mobile router for traveling

Hi,

I am currently using a GL iNet Slate AX router when I am traveling. I connect it to the Internet via WLAN and use two WireGuard tunnels with OSPF to access my home network. My mobile devices (e.g. tablet and phone) are also connected via WLAN.

I am planning to replace the Slate AX with a router running VyOS. Can anyone recommend a hardware that is compact in size and has WiFi onboard that can be used for traveling?

Thanks.

R86S is the smallest x86 mini PC I have ever seen. It will be a good choice.
It can install a wifi adapter on it become a wifi router.
https://www.amazon.com/Routing-Multi-net-Intel-N5105-Gigabit/dp/B0BN7YX4CH

2 Likes

I’ve really liked the Protectli devices, though they aren’t the smallest device. They’re still fairly portable, though.

2 Likes

It’s not released yet, but this seems like it’d be a good form factor for a travel mini-PC:

One thing you might want to consider is how the device is powered. I’d look for one that can be powered by PD rather than a DC adapter. That’ll allow you to power/charge the mini PC, tablet, and phone with a single adapter. It’d also make it easier to find a power adapter at a local store if the one you had were to fail.

2 Likes

It is really small. But N100 generates lots of heat. There will need a fan to cool it. If not. the CPU will be very slow.

1 Like

PCEngines APU2 are a bit older and EOS, but they let you have a 4G modem, WiFi module. I’m playing around with it running VyOS

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the good advices so far. :+1: I’ll take a closer look into the specs.

I haven’t tried with any of the 1.5 builds, but 1.4 worked great with dell wyse 3040, including the built in WiFi (both as client and as ap).

1 Like

I can confirm that version 1.4 functioned flawlessly on my Dell Wyse 3040, and this included seamless operation with the built-in WiFi, both as a client and as an access point

1 Like