Tell a bit about you and how you use VyOS

Hello Community!
Let’s get know each other!
This topic exactly for that purpose.
Feel free to tell few words about you and how you use VyOS

Welcome!

1 Like

So i will start :slight_smile:
Myself i system engineer and one of first adopters of VyOS from first days.
Dedicating much time to VMWare environments and therefore maintain OVA for VyOS
For last 2 years helping coordinate project

Passing turn to @dmbaturin and @Unicron

I use VyOS whereever I need router, from my home network to datacenter racks. Nothing against other projects, I will use OpenWRT or OPNSense where appropriate, but VyOS is always my default choice. The main reason to start the fork of Vyatta was that I couldn’t just let the project I’m myself using everywhere go away.

1 Like

I am a devops engineer and was using Vyatta from version 5. I used it mainly for my home router and some lab stuff at my work. When Vyatta was gone and @dmbaturin forked to VyOS I started to help because I like the OS and did not want it to go to waste, also helped that networking and development are interests and hobby’s of mine.

1 Like

I am a Systems Engineer, a geek, family man, and an avid motorcycle enthusiast. I started using Vyatta in the days of 4.x and when Vyatta died, I was very happy to see @dmbaturin take over and fill the desire for a fork of the project. I use VyOS in my home lab, and out in colo servers where I need routers and firewalls.

Just a Systems E. I use vyos mostly for VPN server L2TP/VPN road warrior setups for my Mac Users… I have one installed a 2 if Ethernet router as well… it just works well… They were migrations from old vyatta routers/vpn servers before the brocade purchase. I also keep a few floating around as routers in my VirtualBox lab enviornment.

IT Pro and music educator. I’m using VyOS as a firewall for my lab environment. All traffic destined for other VMs and my host goes through my VyOS VM.

2 Likes

Network Admin for poultry company. Discovered VyOS couple of years ago and have found it to come in handy for various uses. Current production use is to support hand-held devices out in the field thru VPN through Verizon cellular net to our Datacenter for live updates to our management systems. Works very well…

1 Like

IT trainer/instructor at vocational education institute, mainly young adults straight out of high school (and some still there).
Our Certificate IV and Diploma networking courses are roughly at the level of CCNA or RHCE.
I am looking for a good general purpose router to use in building virtualised labs, mostly on VMWare ESX but we have also worked with Xen and KVM. I figure why use network simulators and emulators when you can just build a real (virtual) network?
The router should have an interface and CLI not too different from industry-standards like IOS or JUNOS, and should support all the common protocols and services.
VyOS seems to do all this so I’m thinking of making it our main go-to router OS for networking labs.

1 Like

System Engineer for a VFX company, had used Vyatta in the past in lab environments and such.

Had issues with finding a reliable router/firewall for IPSec site to site tunnels, we needed 1Gbps and pfsense and juniper gear struggled above 500Mbps.

VyOS had no problem filling the pipe.

1 Like

Network Architect at a small managed service provider. We try to use VyOS as virtual router on the edge to customer’s virtualized networks. Main focus on development of automated setup using VMware template (uh-oh some questions, by the way) and Ansible for automating post-installation setup.

1 Like

Network Engineer, Sales Engineer, and CTO @ my own ISP in California.

We use VyOS as CG-NAT nodes, Peering Routers and Subscriber Aggregation.

Great platform.

1 Like

I have been in IT for over 36 years, but somewhat hands off last few years. I use Vyos to replace an Edgerouter Lite that could not handle my 300mb comcast and deal with QOS rules. I built a small cube mini ITX system with quad port NIC and have redundant ISPs at home (becasue Comcast is so unreliable and ATT speeds top out at 50mbs) I thine use QOS to make sure my VOIP gets highest service and my cloud backups the lowest as to no interfere with other home internet use. I also carved off my surveillance system on to its own VLAN so that traffic does not compete for any home network use. My Edgerouter Lite used to peg the CPU and then create slow traffic with QOS, my Vsos is over kill quad core i5 and runs at less than 1% at full load.

1 Like

I am a partner in an ISP in Oklahoma. We use VyOS for pretty much all routing needs including at the Edge of our network. Vyatta tried to sell us on it and when we decided to buy it was killed off lol but VyOS was born and bam jumped on this lovely bandwagon.

1 Like

Senior Systems engineer at an MSP/IT Consultant company. I have a passion for Open source, and promote it whenever possible. I’ve come from over 5 years of using PFSense, but with my strong Cisco background, I wanted something CLI based, it gives a sense of compatibility, reliability, and quick convergence.

Right now, I’m using VYOS at my home. An ASA 5510 is being used as a VPN Concentrator behind the VYOS, a Meraki Z1 (Work) is also sitting behind and VLANd off. I’m using aggregated ports to a Meraki Switch… The configuration help was amazing, and I had minimal need to go searching for answers. I LOVE the commit error tracking, showing me if something isn’t quite right before I engage my work. I look forward to implementing more of these in the future.

1 Like

I’ve been using Vyatta/Vyos on and off since before the Vyatta/Brocade buyout. I’m glad to see that you folks have continued to evolve this labor of love. It was my primary router/firewall for years, but I moved away from it when my responsibilities transitioned to architecting a customer implementation for a commercial product. I always seem to come back to Vyos to implement “custom” stuff that is difficult or expensive for implementation in my home/work lab.

Keep up the great work!

Home: vyos+dnsmasq(dnsmasq_gfwlist_ipset.conf)+v2ray+iptables (Of course linux can also be implemented, but I still like vyos, so I hope to integrate it. Otherwise, every time you upgrade your custom configuration, you will lose it)
Company: Multi-WAN load, VPN and firewall
IDC/ISP: Firewall (hopefully have DDOS cleaning function, of course, hardware support), ospf+lvs, vpn

I’m an executive at a facilities based Service Provider. We have developed our own whitebox solution for Demarcation equipment. We worked with a company over seas to develop a circuit board and chassis and use VYOS for the OS. The CPE devices run in our network an enable us to deliver services to end-users.