Tell a bit about you and how you use VyOS

community

I’m an executive at a facilities based Service Provider. We have developed our own whitebox solution for Demarcation equipment. We worked with a company over seas to develop a circuit board and chassis and use VYOS for the OS. The CPE devices run in our network an enable us to deliver services to end-users.

Look at the performance improvement with the previous version, and hope to use it for multiple branches interconnection, can replace BrazilFW Firewall, thank you!

I’m a Telco engineer working in may different areas for tier-1 telco’s and/or vendors - Optical, IP, Cloud, etc. At the moment I’m back in the Optical space. Part of my job is to break things.
Growing up I very much liked IT (and comms), so ran a BBS for a few years, and eventually got involved in virtualisation.
…so I have a home environment with a couple of basic VMware servers running all sorts of things, and of course things are much more complicated than they need to be.

I’m still on ADSL but soon should be getting something better, so I need a plan to replace my Cisco 877. Given my virtualisation environment it made sense to look at virtualised router, and so came across VYOS (mainly because it supported DMVPN). I’ve then slowly moved functionality away from the Cisco and on to VYOS. I’m now using VYOS to do everything with my Cisco now just in bridged mode.

Since I still have my telco hat on, I still look for redundancy so am using 2 VYOS VMs (another running on my NAS with QEMU) with then in a cluster.

The more and more I use VYOS the more I like it, so I do intend on contributing to make it better. Most likely with bug reports as I do seem to be good at breaking things. While I know how to code it’s certainly not my forte, so I don’t believe I would really add much value there, but who knows…