Tell a bit about you and how you use VyOS

Look at the performance improvement with the previous version, and hope to use it for multiple branches interconnection, can replace BrazilFW Firewall, thank you!

I’m a Telco engineer working in may different areas for tier-1 telco’s and/or vendors - Optical, IP, Cloud, etc. At the moment I’m back in the Optical space. Part of my job is to break things.
Growing up I very much liked IT (and comms), so ran a BBS for a few years, and eventually got involved in virtualisation.
…so I have a home environment with a couple of basic VMware servers running all sorts of things, and of course things are much more complicated than they need to be.

I’m still on ADSL but soon should be getting something better, so I need a plan to replace my Cisco 877. Given my virtualisation environment it made sense to look at virtualised router, and so came across VYOS (mainly because it supported DMVPN). I’ve then slowly moved functionality away from the Cisco and on to VYOS. I’m now using VYOS to do everything with my Cisco now just in bridged mode.

Since I still have my telco hat on, I still look for redundancy so am using 2 VYOS VMs (another running on my NAS with QEMU) with then in a cluster.

The more and more I use VYOS the more I like it, so I do intend on contributing to make it better. Most likely with bug reports as I do seem to be good at breaking things. While I know how to code it’s certainly not my forte, so I don’t believe I would really add much value there, but who knows…

2 Likes

I’m a cloud engineer at Skytap and we use VyOS whenever we need a router in one of our virtual environments and also recommend it to customers.

1 Like

I am a network security engineer, certified in Palo Alto NGFW. I use VyOs to flesh out my lab for everything I can use it for without going name brand. I currently have 12 instances running for BGP, OSPF, general routing, firewall and NATing. I love the old Vyatta documentation and find it quite useful. Once you stretch into the more advanced features, you realize it’s limitations, but hey, it’s excellent for open source and everything and one has room for improvement.

1 Like

Hi every one,

i work as a Technical Director ISP called NCBW from southern Africa.
mostly i use FreeBSD also Linux (Centos, Ubuntu and Debian). Very much interested in using VYOS as edge and core routers close to 10gbps.

1 Like

Hello all,

I am the Interim Chief Engineer for a local last mile ISP operation under development in North Carolina, USA. I have been a Linux user and open source networking nerd since making a NAT router out of an old PowerMac and Debian Potato. We are extensive Ubiquiti users in the field, and I mostly came into VyOS from that direction. I quickly expanded to using VyOS on bare metal and in VMs, and developing and testing architectures using VyOS in KVM.

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m the infrastructure manager at a medium enterprise who have a fair amount of on-prem kit located in various datacenters around the UK.

We’re using VyOS VMs for our management network.
Each site has it’s own management network, with the gateway being a VyOS VM on a dedicated hypervistor host which houses some other bits such as TFTP / HTTP servers for firmware etc…

Each VyOS VM uses an off the shelf gig circuit from whichever ISP is nearby in the colo, we run IPSec tunnels to every other VyOS VM to create a mesh and run OSPF on top of it.

I use VyOS personally at home also on a small x86 microPC

1 Like

Hello all!

I am a developer (although in the last few years more a system / cloud infrastructure administrator) and I’m currently using VyOS at home as my internet router (both for local devices and a few local VM’s); in fact my VyOS runs as a KVM instance.

I would recommend VyOS to anyone searching a “software-based” router (basically anyone), although I would warn them that the learning curve is quite steep (especially for those that aren’t accustomed with CLI-based configuration).

I love the CLI-based configuration, the main selling point for me (I’ve used pfSense before and hated the GUI-only configuration); especially the configuration “diff” and the fact that all configuration is contained within a single file. (Although sometimes its quirks stand out, like for example PPPoE configuration, etc.)

I would love to see more features geared towards application deployments, like for example HAProxy integration for TLS termination or HTTP request routing.

So far VyOS served me well, although with a few rough edges. :slight_smile:

Thank you all that have contributed in any way to VyOS (or any of the open-source projects that it is based on).

1 Like

I have recently moved from PfSense at home after the 2.4.5 release that totally broke pf when using large tables of ips.

I’ve worked with Junos since the original Juniper M160 and love how performant Vyos is under KVM (Proxmox)

Keen to help the Vyos Team with testing and doco.

1 Like

I’m the CIO of a large convenience retailer in the US. I was the CTO for years before this, and before that came up through the tech track. I’ve done retail IT since 1987. Discovered linux in 1993 via a slackware cd stuck to the back of a byte magazine. Was a heavy gentoo user for years and still participate in their forum. I have used vyatta/EdgeOS/vyos since way back - crafted several stretch-L2 connections to DR sites for the governments of small countries as a side consulting gig. Vyos is my “native tongue” when it comes to all things network and routing. I keep sane as a CIO by experimenting on the side and “keeping my hand in” with network tech. Discovered wireguard a while back and lo and behold one of the best real-world implementations of it is in (you guessed it) vyos. Love the platform and use it in labs all over the place.

If you inclue Ubiquiti EdgeOS in the “comes from vyatta” landscape, then I’m responsibble for about 150 production instances of this platform. It’s great.

3 Likes

I’m a 37 year old datacenter Network Engineer/Operator working in and living in Switzerland. Back then I started with Cisco devices and Routing, working for a big swiss ISP. Today I work with Brocade/Extreme equipment mostly.
I use VyOS, since a week, only at home at the moment for my little home network. Before VyOS I used pfSense, followed by OpnSense. The first OpnSense version i used was 17.1. I do this just for fun and to gain experience in other network equipment than the big ones like Cisco and Extreme.
Also I’m using OSS as much as possible. This includes my desk too. Therefore I’m looking to build my new home network on whitebox hardware (if you know a good 8 or 10-Port 10Gig Whitebox Switch, best with at least 1PoE Port, please tell me ;).

2 Likes

Installed VyOS as DC core networking (routing). After stabilization of use, plan to integrate with hosting services, cloud hosting services(OpenStack based).

2 Likes

I’m the Technical Operations Manager for an MSP/IT Consulting company based out of Missouri, USA. I use VyOS for our training labs so I can get new techs used to working on command prompt-based equipment, and to get them familiar with routing and firewall scenarios we commonly see.

I’m currently running my own lab to document how to use VyOS in the same capacity as our Watchguard (since we don’t use the subscription services), and then I will present the documentation and a proposal to move from Watchguard to VyOS for routing and firewall purposes sometime in mid- to late-2021.

I’ve watched the VyOS project since they forked from Brocade. I liked playing with Vyatta post-college at my first job, just to keep up networking skills. That was around 2007-2008. Over the years I’ve watched VyOS develop and grow, keeping tabs on it. I’m now more interested in using it with my current employer.

2 Likes

I am the senior systems and network engineer for a medium-sized private K-12 organization and have been there for about 7 years. This is my personal account; I will sometimes post as bcstechdept as long as I am employed there but I am hoping to give personal time to the VyOS project as well. I have been playing with Linux and FreeBSD since the mid 1990s ever since I bought some RedHat CDs (I can’t recall the version) at Half Price Books with lawn mowing money.

I am new to VyOS and I’m glad to have stumbled across the project. I knew of Vyatta and Brocade and I’ve used an EdgeRouter-X for a short period of time when they were first released but my work was a Cisco shop at the time. I have been using Juniper EX platform in personal and professional lives for about two years now and found the VyOS syntax incredibly easy to pick up and navigate. The documentation needs some updates but that is where I am hoping to start to help. At work, we needed a new router and primary firewall to replace an aging long-out-of-support ASA and VyOS fit the bill nicely. I am looking for other ways to integrate VyOS at work as I become more familar with it and our older equipment becomes EOL. At home, I have been using 1.3 in GNS3 labs to experiment with routing protocols.

2 Likes

I am software engineer and IT/Network maintainer from Iran. I feel more free when using free software (since few purchase option from my original/residing location).

I came to VyOS to replace Mikrotik virtual appliance/cloud-hosted router (I want to contribute Ideas to improve vyos and its documentation. and thanks for resolving this issue that made my day).

1 Like

I use vyos as mostly in a redundant VPN environments and redundancy for links. Mostly it is BGP and IPsec VPN.

1 Like

Hi all. I started with Vyatta many years ago, after doing things manually (dhcp, iptables, NAT, etc) or using IPCop or Smoothwall. I’m only allowed to use open source at this university department, with several networks, labs and services, so VyOS was the obvious choice after that.
Great features and community.

1 Like

Hi @dave08 !

Thank you for taking the time introduce yourself to the community and share your background. It’s fantastic to see such a diverse and talented community coming together. If there’s anything specific you’d like to learn or discuss, let us know, and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Remember, we’re all in this together, and your voice matters. :partying_face: We’re excited to have you here, and we look forward to your active participation and contributions.

Have a great day!

Cheers,
Joe

1 Like