Tell a bit about you and how you use VyOS

community

Look at the performance improvement with the previous version, and hope to use it for multiple branches interconnection, can replace BrazilFW Firewall, thank you!

I’m a Telco engineer working in may different areas for tier-1 telco’s and/or vendors - Optical, IP, Cloud, etc. At the moment I’m back in the Optical space. Part of my job is to break things.
Growing up I very much liked IT (and comms), so ran a BBS for a few years, and eventually got involved in virtualisation.
…so I have a home environment with a couple of basic VMware servers running all sorts of things, and of course things are much more complicated than they need to be.

I’m still on ADSL but soon should be getting something better, so I need a plan to replace my Cisco 877. Given my virtualisation environment it made sense to look at virtualised router, and so came across VYOS (mainly because it supported DMVPN). I’ve then slowly moved functionality away from the Cisco and on to VYOS. I’m now using VYOS to do everything with my Cisco now just in bridged mode.

Since I still have my telco hat on, I still look for redundancy so am using 2 VYOS VMs (another running on my NAS with QEMU) with then in a cluster.

The more and more I use VYOS the more I like it, so I do intend on contributing to make it better. Most likely with bug reports as I do seem to be good at breaking things. While I know how to code it’s certainly not my forte, so I don’t believe I would really add much value there, but who knows…

I’m a cloud engineer at Skytap and we use VyOS whenever we need a router in one of our virtual environments and also recommend it to customers.

I am a network security engineer, certified in Palo Alto NGFW. I use VyOs to flesh out my lab for everything I can use it for without going name brand. I currently have 12 instances running for BGP, OSPF, general routing, firewall and NATing. I love the old Vyatta documentation and find it quite useful. Once you stretch into the more advanced features, you realize it’s limitations, but hey, it’s excellent for open source and everything and one has room for improvement.

Hi every one,

i work as a Technical Director ISP called NCBW from southern Africa.
mostly i use FreeBSD also Linux (Centos, Ubuntu and Debian). Very much interested in using VYOS as edge and core routers close to 10gbps.

Hello all,

I am the Interim Chief Engineer for a local last mile ISP operation under development in North Carolina, USA. I have been a Linux user and open source networking nerd since making a NAT router out of an old PowerMac and Debian Potato. We are extensive Ubiquiti users in the field, and I mostly came into VyOS from that direction. I quickly expanded to using VyOS on bare metal and in VMs, and developing and testing architectures using VyOS in KVM.

Hi all,

I’m the infrastructure manager at a medium enterprise who have a fair amount of on-prem kit located in various datacenters around the UK.

We’re using VyOS VMs for our management network.
Each site has it’s own management network, with the gateway being a VyOS VM on a dedicated hypervistor host which houses some other bits such as TFTP / HTTP servers for firmware etc…

Each VyOS VM uses an off the shelf gig circuit from whichever ISP is nearby in the colo, we run IPSec tunnels to every other VyOS VM to create a mesh and run OSPF on top of it.

I use VyOS personally at home also on a small x86 microPC

Hello all!

I am a developer (although in the last few years more a system / cloud infrastructure administrator) and I’m currently using VyOS at home as my internet router (both for local devices and a few local VM’s); in fact my VyOS runs as a KVM instance.

I would recommend VyOS to anyone searching a “software-based” router (basically anyone), although I would warn them that the learning curve is quite steep (especially for those that aren’t accustomed with CLI-based configuration).

I love the CLI-based configuration, the main selling point for me (I’ve used pfSense before and hated the GUI-only configuration); especially the configuration “diff” and the fact that all configuration is contained within a single file. (Although sometimes its quirks stand out, like for example PPPoE configuration, etc.)

I would love to see more features geared towards application deployments, like for example HAProxy integration for TLS termination or HTTP request routing.

So far VyOS served me well, although with a few rough edges. :slight_smile:

Thank you all that have contributed in any way to VyOS (or any of the open-source projects that it is based on).