VyOS 1.2.0 build for 586?

I have bought a 64-bit machine for Christmas!

I found that devices intended to be x86 routers, ‘Net Top’ PCs and Mini PCs (ie intended for home use) were quite expensive on eBay but ‘Thin Clients’ (old IT equipment from businesses) were very cheap. They are compact and generally come with flash storage and no fan.

I bought a HP T5570 Thin Client for £26 (€30 / $34) on eBay.

• CPU: 1 Ghz VIA Nano u3500
  • Memory: 4GB RAM
  • Flash Storage: 2GB
  • IO: Gigabit Ethernet, 6x USB, Serial port

There is an excellent website about Thin Clients bought on eBay here:
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5570/

It isn’t going to be the fastest thing in the world but it should be good for testing VyOS on. I have got as far a booting a rolling VyOS build from a USB drive and looking good so far…

Hello,
I was hoping that you could solve the dependency hell and create an 586-image with updated software.

I think Mini PCs are a good and cheaper alternative to Alix board.
However I have the need of multiple NICs in order to setup a router.
Don’t you face the same requirement?

THX

I was only using my HP Thin Client as a development / testing machine, while I was building up confidence that VyOS was going to work for me. I then switched to a ALIX2 machine for performance. Because I wasn’t super-concerned about performance while I was testing, I used a couple of Gigabit USB Ethernet adaptors, giving me 2 ethernet sockets in total.

Some thin clients do have PCI card expansion, so you could add a few ethernet ports. For example this one:

There is a description on that page about how someone is using that thin client with a Intel Pro 1000 card a pfsense router.

The other thing you can do, if you have a smart switch, is use the single on-board Ethernet port, plus VLANs for the different subnets you want to route between.

Hello,
I’am trying to build latest tag 1.2.6 for i386.

I’ve managed to build the docker image for i386, using a vagrant VM (debian8/i386).

So far, I migrated the kernel config to i386 (for alix2d as machine type) and build all the packages and the kernel.

When I have success building the whole thing, I will post the whole procedure.

I have 3 questions.

1. Can someone tell me what packages are supposed to be in “packages” folder as submodules for vyos/1.2.6?

In 1.2.4 it sufficed to init the submodules and get the required packages. On 1.2.6 the “packages” folder does not hold any references to submodules, other than linux-kernel and frr. The list of packages, I built, was taken (guessed actually) via the “build-submodules” script. I then used the 1.3 build instructions to build kernel, frr, wireguard etc.

1. When I build the wireguard-linux-compat source file, everything goes smoothly, the *.ko files are generated and also the wireguard-dkms-x.deb. When I look into the deb I do not see the kernel modules anywhere inside. Only /usr/share/doc…". I thing this might be not what it is supposed to be.

2. When I run configure, and have all the deb files (packages) needed in “packages” folder, is the “vyos_mirror” in build/build-config.json taken into account during the build?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @njh,
I am trying to generate binary for libvyosconfig package for armhf.
I have successfully built all other packages but this package is giving me a lot of trouble to get built.
Can you explain in detail step by step, how you able to build this package?
I am asking it because I am also new in vyos environment and everyday learning new things about it.

Thanks in advance for your help.