VyOS 1.2.0 rolling - support for Intel 10Gbps nic varies between releases

Hi,

This is my first post, please bare with me if I don’t get it right the first time.
I have relatively new hardware not supported by 1.1.8 so I am on 1.2.0 rolling for some time now.
My network cards are these;

root@nld-alk-hq-cpe1:~# lspci | grep Network
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)
01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82583V Gigabit Network Connection
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82583V Gigabit Network Connection
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82583V Gigabit Network Connection
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82583V Gigabit Network Connection
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82583V Gigabit Network Connection
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82583V Gigabit Network Connection

Since the order in which they are recognized is random between boots I have fixed them by using this;

root@nld-alk-hq-cpe1:~# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-network.rules

Fix the order of the network interfaces

SUBSYSTEM==“net”, ACTION==“add”, ATTR{address}==“00:90:27:f4:e9:3e”, NAME=“eth0”
SUBSYSTEM==“net”, ACTION==“add”, ATTR{address}==“00:90:27:f4:e9:3f”, NAME=“eth1”
SUBSYSTEM==“net”, ACTION==“add”, ATTR{address}==“00:90:27:f4:e9:40”, NAME=“eth2”
SUBSYSTEM==“net”, ACTION==“add”, ATTR{address}==“00:90:27:f4:e9:41”, NAME=“eth3”
SUBSYSTEM==“net”, ACTION==“add”, ATTR{address}==“00:90:27:f4:e9:42”, NAME=“eth4”
SUBSYSTEM==“net”, ACTION==“add”, ATTR{address}==“00:90:27:f4:e9:43”, NAME=“eth5”
SUBSYSTEM==“net”, ACTION==“add”, ATTR{address}==“00:90:27:f5:62:66”, NAME=“eth6”
SUBSYSTEM==“net”, ACTION==“add”, ATTR{address}==“00:90:27:f5:62:67”, NAME=“eth7”

So far so good.
Now the problem is that support for the 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ seems to be a bit spotty.

In the vyos-1.2.0-rolling+20190313xxxx release these NICs are working.
In the vyos-1.2.0-rolling+20190320xxxx release they are not recognized.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or that support is deliberatedly going away.
Therefore I’m not sure if I want to file a bug report of do a feature request, please advise.

Kind regards,

Marcel Loesberg

Hi Marcel,

we had a problem for some rolling build with Intel drivers where none of those cards have been recognized.

Could you please be so kind and try with the latest rolling releases?

Regards

I will try it tonight and post the results here.

Hi Marcel!

whis this, do you mean that vyos wil rearange your ethernet interfaces on every bootup? or is it just the order witch they appear that is not optimal for your need?

I’m asking because you should not be needing to create udev rules on your own … vyos should do this for you. and if the order is not optimal, you could save your config, and open it in a text editor (/config/config.boot) and reorder the hw-id tags on your interfaces.

as a side note, modifying udeb manually is not supported by vyos, and all changes will be lost on a image upgrade.

–Runar

Hi,

Unfortunately an upgrade did not work as I could not download the new image due to another problem.
When I do a show ip route I get this;
Exiting: failed to connect to any daemons.
I will burn an ISO and do a full reinstall with the lastest rolling release.

With kind regards,

Marcel Loesberg

Hi Runar,

Yes, VyOS will rearange the internet interfaces at every bootup.
I will install the latest rolling release and see if that solves this problem as well.
If the problem persists I will start a separate thread about that, to keep this one clean.

With kind regards,

Marcel

If the interface renumbering problem still persist, create a bugreport on phabricator :slight_smile:

Hi Runar,

Will do. Just started figuring out phabricator today.
Guess this is a nice first contribution. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Marcel